Former WBA lightweight champion intends to make up for lost time now that the Cuban is injury free and has put his career troubles behind him.
Abril has been out of the ring since September 2014 due to a series of unfortunate events beyond his control and was subsequently stripped of his world title by the World Boxing Association for not making a relevant defense against Darleys Perez.
The slick Florida-based fighter is now fully fit, and with a prior litigation now fully behind him, Abril is preparing to embark on what he hopes will be his greatest chapter so far.
Abril’s lawyer Greg Bloom spoke to WBN over the phone on Monday to inform us that another reign as champion is firmly in the 33 year-old’s sights.
“Richar is now a free agent and can look forward to getting back in the ring in the near future,” Bloom told World Boxing News.
“He wants his world title back and now that everything is behind him, Richar is looking forward to facing the top fighters in the division. We are currently in discussions with a few potential new promoters and Richar will soon be back in his rightful place as champion.
“Right now, we are actively planning his next move and we believe that the beginning of 2016 will be realistic for Richar’s next fight. Richar is ready to go, open to offers and intends to prove that he is still one of the top guys in the world.”
According to Bloom, Abril is willing to travel in order to secure a big fight but hopes to first take a warm-up over six or eight rounds before rushing into the midst of what is one of the hottest divisions in the sport.
“Richar wants those big names eventually,” said Bloom. “He wants to take on the likes of Perez, Crolla, Linares, Mitchell, Flanagan and Mathews at some point next year and I have no doubt that he will be a world title holder once again in the near future.”
The fighter himself is obviously still rankled by the way things were handled regarding his title status, but now wants to focus on the remaining years of his career rather than dwelling on situations he cannot alter.
“It was very difficult for me that my WBA world title was taken without me being defeated in the ring,” Abril explained to World Boxing News.
“I earned that title and proudly defended my belt. I believe I am still the best lightweight in the world and I am looking forward to getting an opportunity to once again showcase my skills.
“I am excited for what the future will bring for Richar Abril during this next chapter of my career,” he added.