Skip to content
Home » Danny Williams lost twice since retire fund hit 1% of $130k target

Danny Williams lost twice since retire fund hit 1% of $130k target

It’s been two years since concerned fans of UK heavyweight Danny Williams launched an attempt to retire him for good.

Williams had lost to Sergey Kharitonov via second-round stoppage to flag a 29th defeat of his long career.

Danny Williams

The Go Fund Me page, launched by New Yorker Thomas Lembo for the Briton who knocked out Mike Tyson in 2004, has struggled to garner any real traction.

Williams fought on September 9, 2020, at 47 years old. The defeat prompted a campaign to stop Williams from accepting any other offers to compete.

At least four times in the recent past, Williams has retired, only to make a comeback as soon as the next offer came his way.

Speaking to WBN previously, Williams has said he would never fight again and that ‘he’d had enough.’ Sadly, this wasn’t enough to keep him out of the ring.

The potential support arranged for ‘The Brixton Bomber’ wanted to raise $130,000 for Williams’ financial security over the next few years.

Danny Williams Boxer Fund

Go Fund Me

In just under two weeks, a paltry total of $1388 hit the coffers for Williams. Even United States promoter Lou DiBella pledged $300 to the fund.

Fast forward to today, the fund stands at just $100 more.

It clearly wasn’t enough to keep Williams from taking another paycheck. Fifteen months later, he accepted another European offer.

The result was a four-round points defeat to Serdar Avci at Pochayna Event Hall in Kyiv, Ukraine.

It remained the case that Williams would continue to entertain solid requests to travel and fight. Just three months later, it happened again.

Another fight

Somehow, a promoter in Germany thought it would be a good idea to drag Williams over to Cologne a year shy of his 50th birthday.

In a ridiculous match-up, Williams got stopped in three rounds by Djuar El Scheich. The Londoner seemed to turn his back as if he didn’t want to get punched anymore.

Hopefully, this will be the final round of his career.

Fellow UK boxers have offered to help Williams to stick to his word. Heavyweight Dave Allen and Liverpool’s Anthony Fowler have commented on the dire situation.

“Surely other people in boxing are seeing what’s happening to this man, others with more power and wealth than me,” said Allen. “He shouldn’t be near a ring.

“He needs saving sooner than later. After seeing his last fight upset me, I’m willing to do whatever it takes.

“I hope this message doesn’t fall on deaf ears. Someone helps me help him. It’s so sad,” he added.

Please retire Danny Williams.

Fowler responded to Allen’s request by saying: “Lad, I said the same. It’s so sad to see this. He’s going to end up in a bad way if he carries on.”

That was almost two years ago, and Danny still isn’t officially retired for good. Who knows if Danny will take another offer if it comes his way.

It’s all a far cry from putting an over-the-hill Mike Tyson on the canvas.

But beating the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ may have been a curse for Williams. It’s now the primary reason the checks keep on coming.

The views expressed in this article are the opinions of Phil Jay.

WBN Editor Phil has over ten years of boxing news experience. Follow WBN on Facebook @officialworldboxingnews and Twitter @worldboxingnews.