Jonathan “La Bomba” Gonzalez (26-3-1, 14 KOs) defended his WBO Junior Flyweight World Title with a 12-round unanimous decision win against Mark Anthony “Baby Boy” Barriga (11-2, 2 KOs) in a ProBox TV main event on Friday evening at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Florida.
Gonzalez won scores of 115-113, 117-111 and 117-111.
“I feel happy,” said Jonathan Gonzalez. “This guy has good footwork. It was a little hard to get to him. I had faith in my conditioning because I have the best team in the world. After the eighth round, my corner told me to get my mind together. I knew I had to go to war in there. I know I have to go to the drawing board and work on some things that we didn’t do right tonight.”
In the co-main event, Venezuelan contender Angelino “Huracan” Cordova (17-0-1, 12 KOs) scored a split decision win over Axel “Mini” Vega (15-5-1, 8 KOs) of Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico to capture the WBO Latino Junior Flyweight Title. One judge had it 97-93 Vega, while two others had it 97-93 and 98-92 for Cordova.
· Hakim Lopez (13-0, 8 KOs), the light heavyweight prospect of Ellenwood, Georgia with roots in Puerto Rico, defeated Cruse Stewart (8-1, 6 KOs) of Rock Island, Illinois via eight-round unanimous decision. Scorecards: 79-93, all for Lopez.
· Super featherweight prospect Jaycob Gomez (5-0, 4 KOs) of Caguas, Puerto Rico defeated Ramon Esperanza (22-22-1, 11 KOs) of Asuncion, Paraguay via six-round unanimous decision. The judges scored the fight 59-55, 60-54 and 60-54 for Gomez.
· Najee Lopez (5-0, 5 KOs), the younger brother of Hakim, defeated Colombian Olympian Jeysson Monroy (1-1, 1 KO) via third-round knockout in a cruiserweight battle. The fight was stopped at 1:45 of the aforementioned round.
· Featherweight prospect Jan Paul Rivera (3-0, 3 KOs) of Ponce, Puerto Rico defeated Cesar Martinez (4-6-3, 1 KO) of Los Angeles, Calif. via knockout at 2:13 of the first round.
· Trinidad Vargas (1-0, 1 KO) of Carrollton scored a knockout win over Josh Aarons (0-3) of Williamsport, Pennsylvania in super flyweight. The fight was stopped at 2:31 of the first round.