Former world champion Jessie Vargas recently discussed one of the most painful memories from his career in a controversial match-up with Timothy Bradley.
Vargas rues the day back in 2015 when he believes he should have become a two-weight title-holder.
Appearing on The Ak and Barak Show, Vargas spoke plenty about his controversial loss and why he doesn’t think a rematch with Adrien Broner will come to fruition.
He also offered his views on lightweight star Ryan Garcia’s star power and more.
– After knocking Bradley out and the referee stopped the fight, I was celebrating both my hands in the air.
About 5 minutes later, I was confused when the referee said he thought he heard the bell.
– I took off my gloves too, for I saw that this fight was a clear stoppage.
– After the fight, Pat Russell apologized, and I walked away from him.
– Once I got home, I was upset, for it felt like Pat took something huge away from me.
– Afterwards, I went to lawyers, WBO, CSAC- everyone searching for a rematch or declaration of no contest.
– I wish for all fighters to have the full three minutes and twelve rounds. But I never wish what happened to me upon anyone. I continue to move forward.
– I’m glad they allowed me to fight for the same title, and I got it done. It felt bittersweet winning the title.
– Pat Russell that night was doing his best to protect the fighters, and I saw him do that. I don’t know why he changed his mind afterward.
– Honestly, if Pat couldn’t hear the bell, then he shouldn’t referee at all. I still don’t know why he stopped the fight.
– I’m never going to forget that night, but I moved on forward in my life.
– If I am to come back, I’m fighting catchweight. But I cannot go back to 140 lbs.
– I love giving fans great fights- to come out and enjoy the action I deliver in the ring.
– I have been training. But I’m far away from 147 lbs. I plan to move up to 154lbs. My fight with Rivera will happen later this year, and that’ll be my debut in 154.
– On Ryan Garcia, he is a star. This kid is bringing is a broader audience from YouTubers to influences to fight fans. He’s carrying a more significant demographic to the sport of boxing.
– Ryan Garcia may transcend Oscar De La Hoya and Mayweather.
– With Wilder, I want to know what on earth happened to his rematch. Maybe he waited too long? I want to know.
Listen to the full interview of Jessie Vargas talking about Timothy Bradley on the Sirius XM app or streaming service DAZN.