Andy Ruiz Jr. fires warning to AJ: ‘I’ll do everything to keep my belts!’
Andy Ruiz Jr. has warned Anthony Joshua not to even think of taking the title straps he ripped from the Briton last summer.
The 30 year-old, currently holding four versions of the top division crown, is loving his time in Diriyah after arriving a few days ago.
Ruiz Jr. recently visited the iconic venue in Saudi Arabia where the Clash On The Dunes, his colossal rematch with Joshua is set to take place.
The American-Mexican fighter – known as ‘The Destroyer’ – toured the custom-built Diriyah Arena. It lies in the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage site ahead of the epic bout on December 7.
The 15,000-seater stadium has been constructed in the ancient remains of Saudi Arabia’s first capital, a place fittingly known as the ‘home of kings and heroes’.
Touring the Arena, Andy Ruiz said: “It’s amazing man. And it’s crazy how they built everything in a month and a half.
“It’s amazing to be fighting over here. It’s going to be really historic and I’m planning to make history over here.”
The World Champion first visited Diriyah for the official launch press conference in September. But since then 175 workers have created the arena in the 10,000 sq m site using 295 tonnes of steel.
Ruiz said: “It’s a lot different. When I first got here none of this was here so it’s unbelievable. All the workers and all the people who have put their efforts in, their designs in.
“This event and this arena is just something amazing.”
Ruiz arrived in the Kingdom early Monday morning to set up his training camp ahead of his rematch with Joshua, with the US boxer determined to keep hold of the WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO belts he snatched from the Briton when they faced off in New York earlier this year.
“Right now, we are meditating. We are preparing, we are getting sharper in the ring and training as well. We are visualizing the fight and becoming victorious,” said Ruiz.
“To all my fans please come and support me, it’s going to be a huge fight. It’s the Clash On The Dunes. We are two big guys fighting each other looking to be the Heavyweight Champion of the World.
“He’s trying to take my belts away so I’m going to do everything that’s possible to win. I’m going to do it for all my people.
“They can expect to see someone who is not giving up and doing everything possible to win. God willing we are going to take this victory.”
Fans will approach the Diriyah Arena via the Diriyah Oasis. A huge sprawling entertainment hub which includes ice-skating outdoors, sky diving, jetski-ing and ziplining among a host of activities on offer.
The Diriyah Oasis is split into the four zones – Nature, Imagination, Reflection, Excitement- giving families a place to come together. At its heart lies an astonishing grand installation by world-renowned Italian artist, Edoardo Tresoldi.
The Clash On The Dunes forms part of the Diriyah Season, epic month of sports which kicked off with Formula E at the weekend, the Diriyah Tennis Cup featuring eight of the best men’s players on the planet. The Diriyah Equestrian Festival, an elite competition with Tokyo Olympics 2020 qualifying points on the line.
The Diriyah Season is also supported by the Diriyah Music Festival with huge concerts taking place around the event.
On December 6, the night before the Clash On The Dunes, major artists who are yet to be announced will perform. So far artists such as Imagine Dragons, DJ Alan Walker, Clean Bandit and Maluma have performed to 40,000 concert goers.
Tickets for all of the Diriyah Season’s spectacular events, concerts and entertainment will be available at www.diriyahseason.sa. Follow Diriyah Season’s news and announcements on the official social media pages on Twitter and Instagram @diriyahseason.