Rylan Charlton wants to skip learning fights and go for titles – because hard-as-nails journeymen are scared to fight him.
The 26 year old from Norwich has signed a promotional deal with Londoner Mickey Helliet – and he’s been asked to push Charlton on.
Their first fight together is at the York Hall in Bethnal Green on Saturday, June 22 and for Charlton, it’s his first outing since Dan West held him to a draw in March.
Charlton had won his first three fights – two inside the distance – and because of his blossoming reputation, he had to fight an opponent from two weight classes above him.
“I’m a natural super-lightweight,” said Charlton, “and West fights up at super-welterweight.
“But I had sold a load of tickets and paid for a bus, so I had to take the fight.
“He came in 10 lbs heavier than me, but I still thought I beat him and if there had been another round, I would have stopped him.”
Charlton is known as a puncher and says that’s why he didn’t box last month. “We tried 15 different British opponents,” he said, “and they all turned it down. We looked abroad, but every name we came up with was rejected by the Board.
“Journeymen don’t want to fight me, so I want to jump up and fight for titles.
“Mickey has a plan for me and it’s two more six rounders followed by a 10, either a Southern Area title fight or an eliminator.
“I might as well go in with fighters who want to fight. It’s more fun when you’ve got someone coming to win – and it’s better entertainment for the fans. I’m hoping they will see me fight over 10 rounds by the end of the year.”