NO-GO: Anthony Joshua, Eddie Hearn accused of ‘low-balling’ Luis Ortiz
Further reports of a low-ball offer from Anthony Joshua and Eddie Hearn to Luis Ortiz have surfaced on Tuesday.
Cuban puncher Ortiz was supposedly the first choice to step in to face Joshua after Jarrell Miller was found to be doping.
Ortiz’s manager Jay Jimenez has now revealed talks didn’t go smoothly between the pair for a proposed June 1st battle at Madison Square Garden.
Outlining what happened, Jimenez said: It’s a no go for June 1. Sorry guys we where told to stay as quiet as possible and play possum until fight had been made.
“(This is) Because every-time someone called Luis out it would be a gimmick to promote them self but it still didn’t work.
“We just received news from the promoter that it’s a no go and it was all a gimmick. Hearn’s low ball offers will not be accepted and no contract even ever got sent.
“So sorry to all the loyal fans. Luis really wanted this title shot,” he added.
The news comes just hours after Joshua released a statement himself on finding a replacement.
“We’re currently looking for alternative options. We’ve got four-and-a-half weeks of sparring left,” said Joshua.
“Whoever the opponent is I’m going to keep my chin down and my hands up to slug it out. Eddie and my team are handling negotiations.”
The accusations made by Jimenez is not the first time Hearn has been pulled up for attempting to secure opponents on the cheap.
Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte have all complained over the last few months alone about not being offered their worth.
WBN already understands that Michael Hunter is in position to be confirmed in the opposite corner to Joshua for New York.
Hunter has agreed to the fight. It’s just a case of Hearn exploring whether there are any other alternatives before making it public.
A formal announcement is due to be made by Thursday or Friday at the latest as Hunter prepares for the biggest chance of his career.
For Ortiz, it’s back to the drawing board for his next fight. A rematch with Deontay Wilder is slated for later this year.
Wilder and Ortiz enjoyed an entertaining first meeting last year and have been linked to doing it again ever since.