WBA release statement on Wladimir Klitschko to clear ‘confusion’
The World Boxing Association have released a statement on Wladimir Klitschko in a bid to solidify their position with the former world heavyweight king.
Ongoing links tying Klitschko to a high-powered role within the WBA had led to the organization explaining things further.
The WBA’s words come as Klitschko continues to be linked to a massive comeback on streaming service DAZN.
“The president of the World Boxing Association (WBA), Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, appointed the new board last week. However, there has been some confusion regarding Wladimir Klitschko role within the WBA,” said the information released this week.
“The WBA would like to clarify that Klitschko is a very good friend of the entity. He is not a Director nor a Staff of the organization.
“The former Eastern European boxer is one of the most emblematic champions of the WBA and the entity is very proud of him.
“Klitschko has worked hand in hand with President Mendoza in various projects of expansion, training to make boxing a better sport.
“Without further information, the WBA continues to work for boxing and finding ways to make the discipline grow worldwide thanks to a joint effort of all its members and collaborators.”
Klitschko’s offer from DAZN is said to be in the region of $60 million. The contract contains a trio of fights, two against huge opposition.
A rematch with Anthony Joshua, which Klitschko had already turn down in 2017, is included should an agreement be reached.
Joshua v Klitschko II would be penciled in for later this year if Klitschko puts pen to paper.
First of all, ‘Dr. Steelhammer’ would fight in Germany against a lower-ranked contender in order to blow off two years of cobwebs.
A victory would then see Klitschko thrust into a massive return with Joshua once Jarrell Miller is out of the way.
Joshua faces Miller on June 1 in New York City.
The final contest for Klitschko would be dependent on a triumph against AJ.