WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder has revealed his reasoning for rejecting a huge offer from DAZN last month.
‘The Bronze Bomber’ turned down a potential fight with Anthony Joshua down the line to remain with current TV network Showtime.
Explaining his choice, Wilder stated all was in hand and there’s no need to panic regarding an undisputed unification with his British rival.
“I would tell the fans to relax,” said Wilder to PBC. “This is my career. I don’t go to your job and tell you how you should ask for a raise because you work hard or that you shouldn’t because you don’t. So, don’t do it to me.
“Just be happy that I’m in this position right now because I’ve been through so much in my career.
“The more eyeballs, the better, especially because I give you your money’s worth. I’m the people’s champion.
“Some fail to realize that we have our own money, our own networks with a big audience, and a big stable of heavyweights.
“They always saying I’m stuck, what is my next move? But the question is, what are these other guys going to do? I’ve got a lot of options here with heavyweights at PBC.”
Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza was predictably delighted to secure Wilder’s services for the immediate future.
Espinoza also denounced any notion of the 33 year-old running from Joshua or even Tyson Fury.
“He’s not avoiding the big fights. Deontay isn’t the one who walked away from the Tyson Fury rematch,” pointed out Espinoza. “He isn’t the one who walked away from the Tyson Fury purse bid, and he isn’t the one embossing conditions on the big fights.
“Just imagine for a moment if Deontay said anybody who fights me has to sign for three or four fights with Showtime and PBC. All of you would murder him for that!
“And yet those are the conditions that are being imposed for him. And to the extent that he has decided that he is his own man. He wants to retain his independence and he’s going to retain control.
“That’s something to be respected admired and celebrated, not criticized.
“I’m not going to go into detail, but rest assured that Deontay has made a choice that demonstrates loyalty.
“Furthermore, he will be financially lucrative for a long, long time,” he concluded.
Wilder battles mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale on May 18 in New York.