Gennady Golovkin ‘wrestling heavyweights’ ahead of DAZN debut
Promoter Tom Loeffler shared a video of Gennady Golovkin as the former middleweight king prepares for his return to action.
DAZN’s most recent star signing is ready to fight over the summer before a third meeting with Canelo later in the year.
‘GGG’ is without a high profile victory in two years and will be 37 next month.
DAZN offered the Kazakh a massive six-fight deal despite his advanced years and Golovkin’s head trainer Abel Sanchez says only time will tell what Golovkin still has left to offer the sport.
— Tom Loeffler (@TomLoeffler1) March 23, 2019
“I can only gauge in the fight. There’s not anyone that has dominated him or in the gym,” said Sanchez. “He’s fighting at his top level.
“I imagine there’s but until someone proves it to me in the ring I have to say no.”
On the difference between the Golovkin of the past and now, Sanchez added: “Youthful and exuberant back then, now more experienced, more stealth. He’s thinking more about the things he does.
“Great thing about him and he always has been very professional. He’s probably 10-12 pounds over his weight now, so when he comes into camp he’s not abusing his body. We can focus on working on other things.”
Opponents have been bandied around for Golovkin, along with dates in late May and June.
It’s expected the veteran won’t take a massive risk as the reward of facing Canelo again is so great.
Canelo must first come through Daniel Jacobs on May 4 when the pair collide in a unification at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Golovkin fighting on that bill had been mentioned, although Los Angeles or New York may well be more favorable.
Jermall Charlo is the current mandatory challenger to Canelo’s title, but it’s though putting together a fight of that magnitude would be impossible for the spring.
The likely scenario will see Golovkin warming up against an also-ran opponent. Before facing Canelo and the winner battling Charlo in late 2019 or early 2020.