22
Sep
2019

Oleksandr Usyk staying at cruiserweight? – WBA call Denis Lebedev bids

World Boxing News 20/03/2019
Oleksandr Usyk

📸 Mark Robinson

Oleksandr Usyk will have to make a big decision on his future before the end of the month. The WBA expects the Ukrainian to defend his title.

The WBSS winner, who holds four versions of the 200 pound crown. But Usyk has been contemplating a move up to heavyweight.

Nothing has yet been made official, though. And Usyk is yet to formally relinquish his belts.

World Boxing Association chiefs have now moved to call on Usyk to place his ‘super’ strap on the line against Denis Lebedev.

Entering a semi-retirement when nursing an injury, Lebedev was made ‘Champion in Recess’ back in late 2017.

Since then, Lebedev has won two comeback fights. The Russian wants his mandated shot at whoever the champion is later this year.

The WBA rankings show Ryad Merhy as the next available contender in line should Usyk decide to vacate.

PURSE BID

Releasing a statement on their requirements, a purse bid was called for next week.

The World Boxing Association (WBA) Championships Committee has scheduled the auction for the fight between the Super Cruiserweight Champion Oleksandr Usyk and challenger Denis Lebedev.

It will take place next Thursday, March 28th, at the offices of the Ocean Business Plaza, the Aquilino de la Guardia Avenue, in Panama City.

All the parties involved were duly notified. Their presence is expected to dispute the rights of the fight between the Ukrainian champion and the Russian champion in recess.

The bid, which will take place at 11:00 AM local time, will have a participation amount of $ 10,000, while the minimum amount to be offered will be $400,000.

The purse split will be distributed in 75% for Usyk. While the remaining 25% will be for Lebedev.


The continental director of the WBA, Panamanian native Aurelio Fiengo, will be in charge of directing the auction. It was initially scheduled for March 12th but had to be postponed for logistical reasons.

Usyk is one of the best pound-for-pound of today. He is preparing for the second defense of his belt.

Lebedev is the champion in recess since 2017. With the Russian having the right to face the champion of the World Boxing Super Series, which Usyk won over Murat Gassiev last year. – WBA 

Your SEO optimized title