Joe Joyce in line for Manuel Charr WBA shot, Fres Oquendo mandatory off
World Boxing News has been informed a fight between WBA ‘regular’ champion Manuel Charr and mandatory Fres Oquendo is off.
Charr had been due to defend against Oquendo for some time, although representatives of the ‘Diamond Boy’ confirmed the news on Thursday.
“Today I can confirm that the fight Charr vs. Oquendo will definitely not take place,” said the spokesperson for Charr, exclusively to WBN.
“Unfortunately, I have no news for you (yet) because we are still working on a solution.
That solution will come later in the year. For now, Charr can plow on with a voluntary defense.
At some point in 2019, though, Charr will have to face the winner of this weekend’s clash between Joe Joyce and Bermane Stiverne.
Joyce’s manger Sam Jones made the announcement after the James DeGale v Chris Eubank Jr. press conference was over.
“Just to confirm Joe Joyce v Bermane Stiverne has now been sanctioned by the WBA as an Eliminator for heavyweight world title held currently by Manuel Charr,” said S-Jam co-owner.
Promoter Richard Schaefer believes ‘The Juggernaut’ is well on course to be a world title holder by 2020.
“I’m going to make a bold statement – Joe Joyce today is the best heavyweight in the world. By the end of the year, he’ll be heavyweight champion of the world. By next year he’ll be ready to take on Wilder, [Anthony] Joshua and [Tyson] Fury,” predicted Schaefer.
“Joyce is a generational talent. This is going to be a very difficult test. We want to see the best Stiverne because Joe Joyce is going to make a statement.”
On this Saturday’s massive card at The O2, Schaefer concluded: “This card is historic and one of many ITV cards that Al Haymon and the PBC will bring to the U.K. fans.
“DeGale and Eubank is a 50/50 fight, but this fight is going to steal the night. When I saw Stiverne walk into the room I knew that he means business.
“When Stiverne is in tremendous shape he is a very difficult guy to beat,” he added.