Former pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather is set for a July return to action, according to reports surfacing on Friday.
TMZ claim to have had confirmation from Mayweather on his future. The celebrity site state the legend has ‘four or five bouts lined up this year – which will pay him around $80 million’.
Fresh from defeating Tenshin Nasukawa for a paycheck of $10 million on New Year’s Eve, Mayweather is heading back to the Land of the Rising Sun this summer.
Mayweather has already agreed the deal. He will face an unknown opponent for around the same fee as the Nasukawa victory.
Easing through a first round win over Tenshin, Mayweather will be a huge favorite to repeat the feat. This time, a former Japanese boxer is being eyed for the opposite corner.
Whether this makes it any less one-sided is anyone’s guess. But it’s unlikely Mayweather would turn down another eight-figure fee after his last showing.
In the only quote from Mayweather obtained by TMZ, the soon-to-be 42 year-old said exhibition fights come with much less of a risk.
“It’s all about being smart. My faculties are very important,” he said.
This means bad news for Manny Pacquiao’s rematch chances. This is despite the fact the Filipino Senator signed a deal with Mayweather Promotions in the hope of landing a second fight.
Their first meeting remains the most lucrative of all time. Back in 2015, Mayweather overcame Pacquiao, who says he fought with an injured shoulder.
Pacquiao fans had begun to get excited when the eight-weight champion stated he’d fight Adrien Broner before taking on Mayweather again.
So far, this has failed to come to fruition. Mayweather is assessing how to make more wealth without taking too many punches to the head.
‘Money’ is currently enjoying life travelling the world, Whilst also showing off his car and diamond collection via Instagram.
Whilst he can continue to do that without being involved in a competitive fight, Pacquiao looks set to be disappointed.
More will be revealed once Mayweather makes it official himself.