Rumors of a rematch with Floyd Mayweather have subsided leaving Manny Pacquiao to potentially contemplate an alternative move.
Mayweather is happily retired, according to advisor Leonard Ellerbe. If true, Pacquiao’s information on being promised a second fight may not come to fruition.
“He’s retired,” Ellerbe said earlier this month. “He has no interest in doing that.
“Well, it’s not always about the money, believe it or not.
“It’s not always about the money. What more can the man do? You know, he doesn’t have the motivation, the desire. You know, he’s living his best life. Traveling, running his multiple businesses, spending his (hard-earned money). That he spent blood, sweat and tears many, many years (making).
“Well, he’ll be 42 come February 24th and, you know, enough is enough. You know, what good does it do you to earn all that money, when you can’t stick around and spend it?
“You know, he’s had a phenomenal career. He’s broke all the records. He has nothing else to prove. I’m very happy for him.”
The Filipino Senator had stated Mayweather was on board for a return prior to an exhibition match-up for the ‘Money’ man in 2018.
Once Mayweather had taken care of Tenshin Nasukawa, it was thought Pacquiao only had to defeat Adrien Broner to seal his big-money opportunity.
Not so, it seems. Pacquiao even took a swipe at his arch-nemesis before defeating Broner on January 19 in Las Vegas.
“It’s my first time to see an exhibition where you knock your opponent out,” said Pacquiao. “Supposedly an exhibition is just to entertain people, nothing serious, for three rounds. But that’s what I understand about exhibitions.”
As things stand, Pacquiao has to assess other options.
At welterweight, the ‘Pacman’ is lucky to find himself in a stacked division. Furthermore, being signed to Premier Boxing Champions helps.
The likes of Keith Thurman, Errol Spence, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan and Shawn Porter all have ties with Al Haymon.
Pacquiao facing any of those would be big business and a certain Showtime Pay-Per-View.
Obviously, Khan is tied into a fight with Terence Crawford on April 20 for the WBO title. A win for the Bolton man would open up the possibility of a unified clash with Pacquiao.
Thurman is back in contention following a long layoff, whilst Garcia, Porter and Spence all become available for the second half of 2019 because of scheduled bouts.
With all his rivals in action this spring – except Thurman. Consequently ‘One Time’ may become the main focus for Pacquiao in the coming months.