Terence Crawford vs Amir Khan: Bob Arum denies US fight is a done deal
Bob Arum has spoken out ahead of premature reports of Terence Crawford vs. Amir Khan being done for the spring in New York.
As WBN reported at the end of December, Khan is closing on a massive welterweight title fight in his bid for pound-for-pound greatness.
The former super-lightweight king has chosen legacy over a potential grudge match with Kell Brook in the UK.
Khan spoke to WBN earlier in the year. He stated the fact that the Brook fight would always be there if he needed it.
At 32 years of age, time remains on Khan’s side. The Bolton man also knows a Crawford win puts him in the P4P Top 10.
Speaking to Sirius XM Fight Nation 93 this weekend, Top Rank boss Arum told all to hang fire on an official announcement.
— SiriusXM Boxing (@SiriusXMBoxing) January 5, 2019
“It’s really premature at this point,” said Arum before confirming the fight is not yet signed.
“My guys are working really hard on putting it together. I hope they will be successful in doing it. But you’re asking me if it’s a done deal, and it’s not done yet.
“I’m not going to say it’s done until it’s done. But it’s certainly a fight that we would love to promote,” he added.
Crawford v Khan would see the defending champion put his WBO welterweight strap on the line.
The contest gives Khan his first-ever opportunity to win a title at 147 pounds after becoming unified ruler at super-lightweight.
Despite signing a three-fight deal with the Sheffield man’s promoter Eddie Hearn, putting the Brook clash to one side seems to be a massive snub to the ‘Special One.’
Whether Brook would now be willing to agree on a deal in the future comes firmly into question. The former IBF ruler may turn his attention to a world title shot at 154 pounds.
Jarrett Hurd and Brian Castano are the first names who spring to mind for Brook, who has few options open to him.
World Boxing News has had over one billion views since its inception in 2010. Follow on social media @worldboxingnews.