EXCLUSIVE: Gary O’Sullivan talks Canelo vs Rocky, ‘It should’ve been me’

Canelo Gary O'Sullivan Spike

Ed Mulholland / Ed Diller

Gary O’Sullivan gave his assessment to WBN on the Canelo vs. Fielding clash this Saturday night.

The Irishman says Canelo is taking a ‘lower risk of a big armory.’

Canelo vs. Rocky has boxing fans looking forward to a climactic finish to an incredible year with just a few days to go.

O’Sullivan revealed his thoughts of the upcoming fight.

“I think Canelo is obviously very confident that he can beat Rocky Fielding, and he looks at the lower risk of a big armory. Rocky Fielding has nothing to lose, so it’s good for him,” O’Sullivan exclusively told World Boxing News.

“Rocky Fielding is dangerous, you know, he can punch, and he’s a lot bigger than Canelo,” he pointed out.

When the fight was announced, it took everybody by surprise as it seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

When asked about the shock announcement, O’Sullivan replied: “I was absolutely surprised by it, but I was also surprised they didn’t give Lemieux the fight.

“Golden Boy promotes me, and so is Lemieux. I knew from meetings we had with Golden Boy that they had no intention whatsoever.”

CANELO

In September, O’Sullivan’s fight with David Lemieux ended with the Irishman taking the third loss in his 31 fight professional career.

Lemieux changed O’Sullivan’s plans for a middleweight title shot completely and appeared to put the French-Canadian in a position to challenge.

“They (Golden Boy) were fully expecting me to beat Lemieux, and we didn’t see that coming. They’ve told me as much since then.

“They thought it was going to be Canelo and me. But unfortunately, it’s not,” concluded O’Sullivan.

Despite the Lemieux setback, O’Sullivan has since dusted himself off and dropped down to 154 pounds.

Winning his debut at the weight last weekend, O’Sullivan is plotting to take on Jaime Munguia for a world title in 2019.

Interview by Chandler Waller.

Follow World Boxing News on social media @worldboxingnews.