Saunders: I’ve been burgled by Hearn and Andrade!
Upon witnessing Demetrius Andrade claim his old WBO middleweight title on Saturday night, former holder Billy Joe Saunders admitted he feels robbed.
Andrade dominated Walter Kautondokwa (Pictured below by Ed Mulholland) over twelve rounds in Boston. The late replacement for Saunders was dropped four times on his way to a wide points defeat.
Saunders, ruled out after failing to secure a Massachusetts license due to the use of a nasal spray in training, couldn’t help expressing his feelings on the matter.
“(My) caravan got burgled last night and Eddie Hearn and Demetrius Andrade’s fingerprints were found,” said Saunders.
— billyjoesaunders (@bjsaunders_) October 21, 2018
Meanwhile promoter Frank Warren has already admitted he fears for Saunders’ state of mind on the matter.
Warren is also planning to appeal the decision.
“It was a nasal spray! – VADA bans everything. They are not recognised in Great Britian, they are not recognised by UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) and they are not recognised by the British Boxing Board of Control,” Warren told talkSPORT.
“Massachusetts have not even applied their own disciplinary regulations correctly, so obviously Bill will appeal and the appeal will go to the Supreme Court. He will be suing them for any loss of earnings.
“The tests they are referring to took place in August, but since then Bill has had subsequent tests which have all come back negative. It’s ridiculous. It’s stupid where we are at with this.”
On Hearn’s role in the matter, which resulted in the Kautondowka being contracted before the license result, Warren added: “If the fight was taking place in the UK, it wouldn’t be a problem.
“Can we take it somewhere else? I would if I was the promoter, but I’m not, the promoter is Matchroom.
“Their fighter is Andrade who is challenging, so they want to keep it there because it keeps Bill out.
“It stops Bill from getting paid quite a substantial purse. But they can bring this guy in from Africa who they are probably paying $100,000, so it suits them financially.
“They have said publicly they were supporting Bill and they wanted the fight. Yet I’ve got a letter from them privately saying they were going to be neutral on the position.
“From a business perspective I see where they are at, But it’s not fair on Billy Joe Saunders that he has defended his title three or four times and he’s in this position,” he added.