09
Dec
2018

Povetkin vows to continue career, set for Joshua Wembley undercard spot

World Boxing News 17/10/2018
Povetkin YH

Lawrence Lustig

" "

Former world heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin has decided not to hang up his gloves just yet.

The tough Russian was taken apart, as predicted, by Anthony Joshua at Wembley last month. Rumors had begun that the 39 year-old would step away from the ring.

Povetkin has moved to clear up the situation and says he will have at least one more fight in April next year.

“I have a desire to keep on,” said Povetkin.

“In good shape, in good mood. I’m not going to stop. I will have a bout, most likely in April in London. I don’t know with whom yet.


“It is hard to say how many more I’ll have. Depends on my mood. Until now I have it,” he added.

AJ

WEMBLEY

The card Povetkin speaks of will be the Joshua undercard, again at Wembley. The main event will likely see Joshua fight Dillian Whyte for a second time.

Having already faced Matchroom fighter David Price. there’s a possibility Dereck Chisora could be in the opposite corner to Povetkin.

Matchroom don’t have a plethora of options in the top division, with Tony Bellew unlikely to be available by then.

That leaves Chisora as the standout candidate, whilst Oleksandr Usyk another who could fancy a move up to heavyweight next year.



The current cruiserweight king faces Tony Bellew on November 10 in Manchester but could move up after that fight.

Pitting Usyk against the aging Povetkin would be a big statement for Eddie Hearn to make, but will all depend on the Ukrainian.

Usyk is tipped as a future world champion at 200 pounds plus, having already become undisputed at the lower weight class.

At 31, and turning 32 in the New Year, Usyk may embrace a Povetkin challenge, which could then lead to a huge battle with Joshua himself.

If no Usyk or Chisora, American Jarrell Miller could then trade blows with Povetkin in a UK debut.

Your SEO optimized title