Scottish southpaw John Docherty made a spectacular start to his professional career in Newcastle on Saturday night.
The talented 20 year-old blasted out previously unbeaten Jordan Latimer in just 18 seconds with a devastating display.
Docherty, campaigning at super-middleweight, is now set to show his skills in Atlantic City on November 17.
Reflecting on his awesome victory and a quick turnaround arranged by promoter Eddie Hearn, Docherty had every right to be pleased.
“It was an unbelievable experience making my pro debut in Newcastle. An unforgettable reception from the fans. I was buzzing walking through the tunnel to the ring,” Docherty exclusively told World Boxing News.
“I knew it was over when I connected that first punch. The ending just made my night.
“I couldn’t have wished for a better start as a professional. All those months of training came down to 18 seconds, but we don’t get paid for over time.
“I was very happy to get him out of there ASAP! And that it went according to plan. I knew I had to make a statement, and I intend to continue climbing the ranks in the super-middleweight division.”
On Hearn’s confirmation ringside that he’d be heading across the Atlantic as early as next month, Docherty added: “I was buzzing sitting next to my coach (Tony Sims) when Eddie said I would fight in Atlantic City it was like a dream come true.
“I can’t wait to show the USA what about. I have the best team around me, and I have so many great nights ahead.
“Hearing that news really made my professional debut unforgettable. But I can’t wait for the next one,” he concluded.
A bustling division packed full of talent is headed by current WBA title holders Callum Smith and Rocky Fielding.
Domestically, the likes of Zak Chelli and Umar Sadiq will be future possibilities as Docherty prepares to follow up his super-quick KO with another top display on US soil.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay