Matchroom sent a new offer for Deontay Wilder to fight Anthony Joshua on April 13. The move came as the American concluded his three-city press tour with Tyson Fury.
Barry Hearn sent what is stated to be a ‘new improved offer’ to Wilder, three months after talks initially broke down.
“So now a new improved offer has been made to Wilders camp. Let’s see if they will finally agree to a meeting to discuss or not,” stated Hearn.
“Fans will find out if both sides really want this fight and I know AJ does. No obstacles from our end so just waiting for a response,” he added.
WBN immediately contacted Shelly Finkel for comment.
This came just moments before he walked on stage for the third leg of the Wilder v Fury media engagements in Los Angeles.
Finkel duly confirmed receipt. But clarified that Joshua that commitments with Fury would now make talks impossible until December.
“I can confirm that Hearn sent something but I have a big fight on December 1. That is where all my focus is,” Finkel exclusively told World Boxing News.
“If after the fight he wants to meet or send me something, that is when I will deal with it. I don’t want any distractions now,” he confirmed.
Previously, Finkel had told WBN he’d be open to a new offer being sent or even face-to-face talks.
“If your father wants to meet on October 6th or 7th in New York I’d be glad to. But it’s waste of time if we don’t have a real offer,” said Finkel.
The u-turn could mean one of two things. Either the terms aren’t good enough, or Wilder has realized first-hand just what a serious fight he’s currently in with Fury.
For now, one hundred percent of Finkel’s attention is on Fury for December 1. Meaning Joshua and Hearn will be forced to wait until the fight plays out if they want to make a deal.
Eddie Hearn said he wants an agreement with Wilder soon. This is despite there still being five months left until Joshua’s spring date at Wembley once the dust settles with Fury.
Signing on to fight such a high-profile undisputed heavyweight battle whilst in the midst of a huge Pay-Per-View promotion is largely unheard of. But Finkel’s stance will give Josuha the opportunity to instead face Dillian Whyte – as expected.
Right now, and for the fans, what makes the most sense would be for the Hearn’s and Joshua to let Wilder v Fury play out. Then, lay all their cards on the table alongside Wilder for another massive event next year – provided ‘The Bronze Bomber’ wins.
Should Fury spring the upset, a rematch between the giants is already contracted. A stipulation which ultimately ended negotiations with Joshua.
Wilder has always wanted Joshua, but after three days of being in his company, knows it would be foolish to overlook the Fury threat.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay