Deontay Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel has updated WBN on the current situation regarding talks with Anthony Joshua.
Finkel’s correspondence comes on the back of Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn speaking to press during Wembley fight week.
Hearn has been asked constant questions regarding a possible fight between Joshua and Wilder in April as the heavyweight champion prepares for a defense against Alexander Povetkin on Saturday.
Talks had initially broken down earlier this summer over disagreements in the contract. Wilder then turned his attention to facing Joshua rival Tyson Fury.
Wilder v Fury is set to take place this December, with Joshua out of the loop unless terms on the table are improved.
Outlining his attempts to open fresh negotiations with Finkel, Hearn had told The Guardian: “It comes to a stage where if they won’t even reply to us, how can you try to make the fight?
“My dad emailed Shelley Finkel a fortnight ago and said: “We’ve sent you a signed contract on all the terms you agreed’, but they didn’t respond. It’s very strange.
“If they want to make it for April, we need to have some dialogue. If you want 50-50, at least tell me so we can discuss terms.
“We can’t wait until then because of all Joshua’s mandatory situations,” he added. “Joshua will box in April and then he won’t fight again until November or December 2019.”
Addressing Hearn’s claims of emails being ignored, Finkel said the Matchroom boss seems to be creating his own agenda.
“When Eddie Hearn says the ridiculousness he says about the fight and not talking to him, as usual he’s lying,” Finkel exclusively told World Boxing News.
“There was a letter (email) sent to him and his father Barry on Monday. It says very clearly what he needs to do to make a deal with us.
“So, for him to say this, and say that…it’s all bull****.
“I’ve said to him clearly. Instead of the stupidness (contract offering Wilder a rematch only if he won) he sent us earlier, send us a real offer and we will respond.”
It’s a u-turn from Finkel’s original stance. The New Yorker had told WBN talks would be put off until after the Wilder v Fury fight later this year, meaning hope springs for the fans.
Whilst nothing concrete can be put in place though out of respect to Fury. An initial handshake between both parties, potentially on that 50-50 Hearn spoke of, would be a start.
Should Wilder overcome the undefeated Fury his stock would rise considerably. Meaning a Wembley showdown would have the pulling power to make even bigger numbers on both sides of the Atlantic.
Giving Wilder a US rematch needs to be the first step though, having only previously offered ‘The Bronze Bomber’ a second fight with Joshua should he win.
A loss or draw would have had serious consequences for Wilder and see him locked out of the division as Joshua monopolized.
These facts were obviously the reason behind the initial offer, and once these are addressed, a massive undisputed unification can move forward.
Provided Fury doesn’t spoil the Joshua v Wilder party in the meantime.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay