Frank Warren has responded to reports by Sky Sports Boxing stating a potential Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury fight may prove impossible to make this year.
Citing a lack of date, venue or even a license to box in the United States, doubts were raised about the possibility over getting the clash over line – despite numerous confirmations by Warren, Fury himself and even the US-based Showtime network.
Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn, a fierce rival of Warren, has also made it clear on many occasions that he doesn’t believe the fight will happen as promised.
“No certainly not. I think he knows that and everyone in boxing knows that and unless he’s getting $20million for that fight,” Hearn told Betting Pro.
“I don’t think he’ll take the fight against Wilder, to be honest with you. I know they’ve said it is happening, there’s no date or venue yet and I think Fury needs one more, he knows that.
“He’s done unbelievably to come back from where he was and he deserves a huge amount of credit but he looked very poor in his last fight, he got booed out of the ring, he’s not an entertaining fighter to watch.
“He’s awkward and tricky which is not great for people to watch but it’s effective as we saw against (Wladimir) Klitschko so I think if he can have a fight or two more, which was always his plan.
“He’s got a very good chance against the likes of Wilder and Joshua but right now, he stands no chance. ‘I think he might have something up his sleeve but I don’t see him getting in the ring this year with Wilder, for sure.”
— Frank Warren (@frankwarren_tv) August 31, 2018
As pointed out, neither the Nevada State Athletic Commission or the New York version – who represent the two venues considered for Wilder v Fury, have received an application from the Briton yet.
Fury was once again forced to defend his position after releasing a video on social media previously and this time promoter Warren decided to pick apart the information released.
Naming five reasons as to why a license is not on the agenda yet, Warren finished the hard-to-argue points by once again confirming the Wilder fight ‘is on like Donkey Kong’ for 2018.
WBN has already been informed by Wilder’s co-manager that an official announcement will be made soon, with Las Vegas currently favored over Brooklyn to stage the massive heavyweight battle.