Gennady won the first fight, minimal changes needed for Canelo 2 – says Golovkin’s coach
Trainer Abel Sanchez won’t be making too many adjustments for September 15 when star fighter Gennady Golovkin once again goes up against Canelo Alvarez.
The pair of middleweights have a strained relationship since their initial meeting in September 2017 when Golovkin was denied what seemed a clear victory.
Add to that a failed drug test by Canelo due to tainted Mexican beef and both are barely on speaking terms as they prepare to go at it for three 160 pound titles.
Addressing what the approach would be this time around, Sanchez says Golovkin just has to go out there and do the same again.
“We prepare ourselves and we prepare Gennady to be the best Gennady can be. We won the first fight. A lot of people know we won the last fight. He knows he won the last fight.
“Some adjustments obviously will be made in camp but Gennady fights in a style that is not only fan-pleasing but a style that he has mastered with a 23-knockout streak, in, what, 20 defenses, making it the 21st on the 15th. I think that’s the best in history. He’s tied Hopkins’ record. He’s got a knockout ratio, the best in middleweight history.
“I think the changes are going to be minimal. But I think it’s all going to depend if Canelo brings his courage.”
Asked whether he holds a grudge after several digs at Canelo in the media, Sanchez replied: “I talked about him because of what his actions have been and I think the consequences it has caused for us as a team here, the GGG team.
“He’s an exceptional fighter. Two guys at the top of their game are going to duke is out on the 15th. I hope we get the kind of fight that we are expecting.
“We had been waiting for the commission to do their investigation, and come on, whatever the findings were, unfortunately they made a mistake. We have a fight on our hands September 15. They found him innocent of anything, any wrongdoing, so we have to go with that.
“My personal feelings have nothing to do or should have nothing to do with the actual findings of the commission.
“They felt that he made a mistake. They felt that he ingested some bad beef. Hopefully, this time that they are in Mexico, he doesn’t do that again. We’d like to have a fight on the 15th and the fans deserve that,” he added.
Canelo vs. GGG 2 is a 12-round fight for the middleweight championship of the world presented by Golden Boy Promotions and GGG Promotions. The event is sponsored by Tecate, “THE OFFICIAL BEER OF BOXING,” Hennessy, “Never Stop, Never Settle,” Fred Loya Insurance, Interjet, Venom, and Fathom Events.
The event will take place Saturday, Sept. 15 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET/5:00 p.m. PT.
Tickets for Canelo vs. GGG 2 are on sale now, and are priced at $5,000, $2,500, $2,000, $1,500, $800, $700, $500 and $300, not including applicable service charges and taxes. There will be a limit of eight (8) per person at the $5,000, $2,500, $2,000, $1,500, $800 and $700 price levels with a limit of two (2) per person at the $500 and $300 price levels.
To charge by phone with a major credit card, call 888-9-AXS-TIX (888-929-7849). Tickets also will be available for purchase at www.t-mobilearena.com or www.axs.com.