Anthony Joshua comments on landing Wembley Stadium deal
Anthony Joshua gets the chance to headline at the iconic National Stadium in England for back-to-back fights on September 22 in 2018 and April 13 in 2019.
The heavyweight king, undefeated in 21 bouts since claiming gold at the 2012 Olympics in London as an amateur, is set to battle mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin in just over two months’ time before an un-named foe in the spring of next year.
It is hoped both events will see over 150,000 fans pack Wembley to witness Joshua attempt to keep a firm grip on his unified championship.
Speaking on the two-fight agreement, Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn were delighted to commit to the English fans.
“I am returning to Wembley after two mega fights in Cardiff,” said Joshua.
“I want to thank the supporters from Wales and Great Britain and also the people of London for patiently awaiting my return.
“Being north London born and raised it is in my blood. The opportunity to fight in such an iconic stadium is normally a once in career opportunity, so to be given the chance to fight there again is amazing.
“Wembley just added a fourth lion to the den,” he added.
“I’m extremely honoured to get the opportunity to promote two more shows at the national stadium and delighted for British fight fans that Anthony has made this commitment to them,” said Hearn.
“I don’t think anyone will either forget that night of April 29 against Klitschko and we plan to bring two more dramatic events to Wembley Stadium in September and April.
“Images from these AJ events make our country the envy of the boxing world and long may it continue.”
WBC Champion Deontay Wilder has been targeted for the second of those outings for Joshua, although the American has distanced himself from the 28 year-old since unification talks collapsed last month.