Heavyweight king Anthony Joshua has broken his silence in the fallout of failed negotiations with WBC title holder Deontay Wilder.
Joshua and Wilder were locked in talks for battle at the end of 2018, although a two-fight deal at Wembley Stadium for the Briton put an end to any hopes fans had of a meeting this year.
Wilder wanted an immediate United States rematch, something Joshua could not commit to, leaving the undisputed unification collision on hold until at least 2019.
— Anthony Joshua (@anthonyfjoshua) July 9, 2018
Speaking on his social media account, Joshua said he’s ‘still waiting for a signature’ from Wilder for what could be the first of their fight double on the second National Stadium date of April 13.
On the two-fight deal agreed last week, ‘AJ’ said he was looking forward to heading back to London after two contests in Cardiff.
“I am returning to Wembley after two mega fights in Cardiff,” said Joshua. “I want to thank the supporters from Wales and Great Britain and also the people of London for patiently awaiting my return.
“Being north London born and raised it is in my blood. The opportunity to fight in such an iconic stadium is normally a once in career opportunity, so to be given the chance to fight there again is amazing. Wembley just added a fourth lion to the den.”
“I’m extremely honoured to get the opportunity to promote two more shows at the national stadium and delighted for British fight fans that Anthony has made this commitment to them,” said promoter Eddie Hearn.
“I don’t think anyone will either forget that night of April 29 against Klitschko and we plan to bring two more dramatic events to Wembley Stadium in September and April.
“Images from these AJ events make our country the envy of the boxing world and long may it continue,” he added.
American Wilder is now weighing up his options and will reveal his next move in the next few weeks.
A mandatory with Dominic Breazeale should be next after being ordered by the WBC earlier this year.