Gennady Golovkin faces choice of two as Canelo Alvarez stands firm on rematch
A recent announcement by Oscar De La Hoya regarding negotiations for a rematch between Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez will mean the mandatory situation now kicks in at 160 pounds.
Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan’s theory that the Canelo return was done for September 15 with him facing the winner looks in considerable doubt due to De La Hoya’s admission, unless ‘GGG’ backs down from his 50-50 demands.
The Irish middleweight had claimed over the weekend that Golovkin v Canelo 2 was on for the fall and that he had a spot on the undercard with a guarantee.
De La Hoya has since stated he’s ready to swap Golovkin for Danny Jacobs unless the Kazakh puncher agrees to the original plan of 65-35 in favor of Canelo.
“He’s stubborn and wanting 50-50 and it’s not going to happen. The Canelo train has left the station, so there’s a deal on the table for Daniel Jacobs to fight September 15 against Canelo,” De La Hoya told ESPN.
Adding conversations with Jacob’s promoter Eddie Hearn had already begun, Golovkin is now in huge danger of missing out on a lucrative second encounter with the Mexican.
“Eddie loves the idea. He loves the fight. Daniel Jacobs loves the fight and we love the fight as well,” he said.
“So we’re just moving forward and making sure that Canelo has the toughest dance partner possible for September 15.”
Golovkin will be forced into a mandatory with Sergey Derevyanchenko or Jermall Charlo if he insists on sticking to his guns on the purse split as the IBF and WBC will push their respective number one fighter forward.
The WBA situation remains unclear with Ryota Murata ‘regular’ champion and Jacobs the current title stipulation, whilst any clash with Billy Joe Saunders would need special dispensation which Golovkin already asked for in order to battle Canelo last year.
Talks will be on the cards between both the IBF and WBC to see which route Golovkin must take in order to keep all of his title belts, whilst a deal with Canelo clearly won’t happen unless the KO king has a change of heart.
Any collision with Saunders could end up costing Golovkin two versions of his crown, which the 36 year-old has always stated he’s not willing to do.
Securing all the straps was Golovkin’s main priority until Canelo, so it will be interesting to see if the pound for pound star is willing to part with any of his coveted titles in order to face the Briton – potentially in the UK or Kazakhstan.