De La Hoya calls Golovkin’s bluff, drops Canelo rematch talks until 50-50 demand is lowered
Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan’s recent theory that Canelo Alvarez will fight Gennady Golovkin on September 15 and he’ll face the winner has been well and truly blown out of the water this week.
The Irish middleweight made the claims over the weekend, stating that Golovkin v Canelo 2 was on for the fall and that he had a spot on the undercard with a guarantee.
This statement may well come to fruition, although Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya is ready to swap Golovkin for Danny Jacobs unless the Kazakh puncher lowers his demands for an equal share of the pot.
“He’s stubborn and wanting 50-50 and it’s not going to happen. The Canelo train has left the station, so there’s a deal on the table for Daniel Jacobs to fight September 15 against Canelo,” De La Hoya told ESPN.
Adding conversations with Jacob’s promoter Eddie Hearn had already begun, Golovkin is now in huge danger of missing out on a lucrative second encounter with the Mexican.
“Eddie loves the idea. He loves the fight. Daniel Jacobs loves the fight and we love the fight as well,” he said.
“So we’re just moving forward and making sure that Canelo has the toughest dance partner possible for September 15.”
Golovkin will be forced into a mandatory with Sergey Derevyanchenko if he insists on sticking to his guns on the purse split as the IBF will push the fighter forward as their number one.
The WBA situation remains unclear with Ryota Murata ‘regular’ champion and Jacobs the current title stipulation, whilst the WBC want ‘GGG’ to battle Jermall Charlo.
Talks must take place with both the IBF and WBC to see which route Golovkin must take in order to keep all of his title belts, whilst a deal with Canelo clearly won’t happen unless the KO king has a change of heart.