Deontay Wilder still holds out a small hope of headlining a massive undisputed heavyweight championship fight in his homeland of America but has given the first indication that he’s willing to back down on his original demands.
A $50m offer to Anthony Joshua to hold the fight at a stateside venue has been passed up on by the Briton, who alongside his promoter Eddie Hearn, favors a stadium in the United Kingdown.
Wilder is in constant dialogue with his team regarding the contest, which could be announced by the end of this month – one way or another.
“If we have it in England, it’ll be September but if it’s here in America then it’ll be November,” Wilder told Fight Hub TV.
“We’re still in negotiations so I don’t have a time frame on it just yet but I want to let everybody to know the fight will happen.
“If they’re still serious, we’ve been serious this whole way through, Joshua said he wanted the $50 million and he’d sign tomorrow.
“We did exactly what he said and he didn’t sign so that shows you his character already or his team’s character.
“I think Joshua wants to fight but I don’t think his team want to risk what they’ve invested. Their investment is about to go and they know it,” he added.
As Hearn stated in his Daily Mail Column on Tuesday, Alexander Povetkin is the alternate option as the WBA’s mandatory challenger.
“We are probably about two weeks away from a decision on AJ’s next fight. September has been earmarked for his return and all focus remains on Deontay Wilder,” Hearn told The Mail.
“AJ and the team believe that after everything that’s been built here, the UK should be the home of this historic undisputed bout and conversations continue with the Wilder camp.
“Russian Alexander Povetkin is the likely choice if Wilder refuses to travel, Povetkin is the WBA mandatory and both fights are extremely dangerous,” he said.
Delaying Joshua v Wilder further could line up a backlog of challengers as the IBF have already ordered Kubrat Pulev v Dillian Whyte to be staged in the next couple of months.