The World Boxing Council have released their latest quarterly report which outlines the status of each of the seventeen weight divisions.
In this edition, the focus is on the lower weights from 130 pounds and below.
The report outlines what has transpired over the last few months and what has been ordered in the near future.
Here’s the current status from minimumweight to super-featherweight:
SUPER FEATHERWEIGHT: Champion Miguel Berchelt is scheduled to make a voluntary defense against Orlando Salido in December. No. 2 ranked Francisco Vargas and No. 3 ranked Jhonny Gonzalez are scheduled to fight in a final elimination to determine the mandatory contender.
· Miguel Berchelt was injured.
· The WBC ordered Miguel Roman vs. Orlando Salido on December 9, for the interim, but in a very strange situation Salido camp pulled out of fighting a championship fight but only a 10-round over the weight fight against Roman.
· Miguel Roman in a great performance knocked out Orlando Salido and requested the WBC to recognize him as mandatory contender of the division.
· The Board of Governors voted in favor to name Miguel Roman as mandatory challenger of the division.
· Miguel Berchelt defeated Maxwell Awuku by TKO3 in a voluntary defense on February 10 in Cancun.
· Miguel Roman is mandatory challenger.
APRIL, 2018: BERCHELT WILL MAKE A VOLUNTARY DEFENSE ON JUNE 23 AND THE WINNER MUST MAKE THE MANDATORY DEFENSE NEXT.
FEATHERWEIGHT: Champion Gary Russell is scheduled to fight a voluntary defense and mandatory contender, Joseph Diaz, next. That will be mandated for around May.
· Russell vs. TBA voluntary.
· Gary Russell vs. Joseph Diaz mandatory, May 19 in Maryland.
SUPER BANTAMWEIGHT: Champion Rey Vargas is scheduled to fight mandatory challenger Julio Ceja, who won a final eliminator. No. 2 ranked Diego De La Hoya and No. 3 ranked Hugo Ruiz will fight in a final eliminator.
· Julio Ceja defeated Breilor Teran by UD12 and won the silver title on November 25, 2017.
· Rey Vargas defeated Oscar Negrete by UD12 on December 2, 2017 in a voluntary defense.
· Rey Vargas vs. Azat Hovhannisyan – voluntary – May 12.
· Rey Vargas vs. Julio Ceja mandatory.
BANTAMWEIGHT: The WBC Clean Boxing Program still has to rule on the findings on a positive test for champion Luis Nery. No. 2 ranked Emmanuel Rodríguez will fight in a final eliminator against No. 3 ranked Petch Sor Chitpattana.
· Luis Nery vs. Yamanaka ordered.
· The WBC ordered the final eliminator between Emmanuel Rodriguez and Petch Sor Chitpattana, but Rodriguez decided to fight for the title of another organization.
· Nordine Oubaali defeated Mark Geraldo by KO7 on December 16 in Paris for the Silver.
· Luis Nery lost the title on the scale and KOT2 Shinsuke Yamanaka on March 1 in Japan.
· Nordine Oubaali vs. Petch Sor Chipatanna for the vacant – purse offer April 27 50/50 split.
SUPER FLYWEIGHT: Champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai has requested a voluntary defense before his mandatory fight against Juan Francisco Estrada.
· Srisaket Sor Rungvisai defeated Juan Estrada by MD12 in a mandatory defense on February 24 in California.
· McWilliams Arroyo defeated Carlos Cuadras by MD12 and won the Silver title on February 24.
FLYWEIGHT: Champion Daigo Higa is scheduled to fight Thomas Masson in a voluntary defense on October 22.
· Daigo Higa defeated Thomas Masson by KOT7 on October 22, 2017 in a voluntary defense.
· Andrew Selby defeated Maximino Flores by UD12 on October 7, 2017 and won the elimination.
· Daigo Higa defeated Moises Fuentes by KO1 on Feburary 4 in Naha, Japan, in a voluntary defense.
· Cristofer Rosales defeated Daigo Higa, who lost the title on the scale, by KOT9 on April 15 in Yokohama.
LIGHT FLYWEIGHT: Champion Ken Shiro is scheduled to fight No. 1 contender Pedro Guevara, with the winner to fight Ganigan Lopez. It was approved that Hekkie Budler fights against number 3 or 4 for the vacant Silver title and then to make a final eliminator and fight for the title after the mandatory.
· Ken Shiro defeated Pedro Guevara by MD12 on October 22, 2017 in a mandatory defense.
· Gilberto Parra defeated Leyman Benavides by KOT4 on November 18, 2017 and won the vacant silver title.
· Ken Shiro defeated Gilberto Pedroza by TKO4 in a voluntary defense on December 30.
· Ken Shiro vs. Ganigan Lopez – mandatory – May 25 in Tokyo.
MINIMUMWEIGHT: Champion Wanheng Menayothin is scheduled to make a voluntary defense in November. The No. 1 ranked contender, Leroy Estrada is the mandatory contender
· Wanheng Menayothin defeated Tatsuya Fukuhara by UD12 on November 25 in a voluntary defense.
· Wanheng Menayothin vs. Leroy Estrada mandatory – May 2, 2018 in Thailand.