The World Boxing Council have released their latest quarterly report which outlines the status of each of the seventeen weight divisions.
In this edition, the focus is on the lightweights.
The report outlines what has transpired over the last few months and what has been ordered in the near future.
Here’s the current status at 135 pounds:
What was ordered:
Champion Mikey Garcia is scheduled to fight Diamond champion Jorge Linares for the undisputed lightweight championship.
· Yvan Mendy defeated Jesus Arevalo by KO8 on December 14 in Paris for the silver.
· Mikey Garcia and Jorge Linares are granted to have a voluntary defense of their titles.
· Jorge Linares fought Mercito Gesta on January 27, 2017 but he did not defend the WBC Diamond title.
· Mikey Garcia defeated Sergey Lipinets by UD12 in a special event on March 10 in super lightweight division.
· Jorge Linares and Mikey Garcia must fight next – free negotiations started on March 12.
· Linares did not accept to participate and relinquished all rights in the WBC.
· Zaur Abdullaev defeated Deiner Berrio by UD12 and won the silver vacant title on April 22.
· Yvan Mendy vs. Luke Campbell final eliminator fight – purses offer May 27.
MIKEY GARCIA WILL FIGHT IBF CHAMPION IN AN UNIFICATION BOUT.
WBN Note: Yvan Mendy previously defeated Luke Campbell and recently told WBN it’s the fight he wants next. Once Mendy v Campbell and Garcia v Robert Easter are completed, the winners should meet by the end of 2018.
More to come from the WBC report.