The World Boxing Council have released their latest quarterly report which outlines the status of each of the seventeen weight divisions.
In this edition, the focus is on the welter and light-welterweights.
The report outlines what has transpired over the last few months and what has been ordered in the near future.
Here’s the current status at 147 and 140 pounds:
What was ordered:
Champion Keith Thurman, who is recovering from an injury, is scheduled to return to the ring in January.
Mandatory challenger Shawn Porter is scheduled to fight Adrian Granados on November 4 for the WBC Silver title.
· Shawn Porter defeated Adrian Granados by UD12 on November 4, 2017 and won the vacant silver title.
· Thurman will return in a voluntary defense in April.
· Shawn Porter mandatory.
· Victor Ortiz defeated Devon Alexander BY MD12 in an eliminator fight on February 17 in Las Vegas.
· Danny Garcia defeated Brandon Rios by KOT9 in a final eliminator for the second mandatory, on February 17 in Las Vegas.
· Qudratillo Abdukakhorov defeated Laszlo Toth by UD12 on March 17 in Malaysia and won the vacant silver title.
· Jessie Vargas and Adrien Broner drew in an elimination fight on April 21 in New York.
APRIL, 2018: KEITH THURMAN HAS RELINQUISHED HIS WBC TITLE.
THURMAN WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO FIGHT FOR THE WBC TITLE ONCE HE HAS FULLY RECOVERED AND IS FIT TO RETURN.
WBC HAS ORDERED SHAWN PORTER VS DANNY GARCIA FOR THE WBC WORLD TITLE.
WBN Note: Thurman is set to fight in the summer before challenging Porter or Garcia for his old belt. Vargas v Broner II is expected to happen over the coming months.
What was ordered:
If champion Terence Crawford vacates the title, No. 1 ranked contender Amir Imam will fight No. 3 ranked Jose Carlos Ramirez for the vacant title.
No. 2 ranked Regis Prograis will fight No. 4 ranked Viktor Postol for the interim title and then both winners to fight each other with a 50-50 split.
· Josh Taylor defeated Miguel Vazquez by KO9 on November 11, 2017 in a defense of his Silver title.
· Amir Imam vs. Carlos Ramirez – March 17 – New York for the vacant title.
· Regis Prograis defeated Julius Indongo by KOT2 and won the interim title on March 9.
· Prograis must fight the winner of Imam-Ramirez fight with a 50-50 split.
· Josh Taylor defeated Winston Campos by KOT3 in a defense of his Silver title on March 3 in Glasgow.
· Jose Carlos Ramirez vs. Regis Prograis for the undisputed title – purse offer May 4 with a 50/50 split.