The WBC Board of Governors ordered a direct rematch between champion Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez. Mandatory contender Jermall Charlo will fight an available contender for the WBC interim championship.
· Saul Alvarez was officially pulled out of the fight against Golovkin due to the adverse test results.
· Jermall Charlo defeated Hugo Centeno by KO2 and won the interim title on April 21.
WBC CHAMPION GOLOVKIN WILL MAKE A VOLUNTARY DEFENSE ON MAY 5th VS VANES MARTIROSYAN.
*WBC WILL SUPPORT THE GOLOVKIN VS ALVAREZ REMATCH IN CASE IT IS RESCHEDULED NEXT AFTER THE VOLUNTARY FIGHT OF MAY 5th THE WINNER TO MAKE THE MANDATORY DEFENSE OF THE DIVISION.
WBN Note: Jermall Charlo now faces a wait until 2019 as Golovkin v Canelo II is likely to take place on September 15. Charlo versus the winner would potentially be in the cards for March or April next year.
Here’s the current status at 154 pounds:
What was ordered:
Champion Jermell Charlo is scheduled to make a mandatory defense on October 14 against Erickson Lubin. The winner of the semi-final bout between No. 4 ranked Maciej Sulecki and No. 5 ranked Jack Culcay will then fight No. 3 ranked Vanes Martirosyan in a final elimination bout.
· Jermell Charlo defeated Erickson Lubin by KO1 on October 14, 2017, in a mandatory defense.
· Maciej Sulecki defeated Jack Culcay by UD10 on October 21, 2017 and won the semifinal elimination.
· Maciej Sulecki vs. Vanes Martirosyan final eliminator. Sulecki decided to fight for the title of another organization.
· Kell Brook defeated Sergey Rabchenko by KO2 and won the vacant silver title on March 3.
· Jermell Charlo vs. Austin Trout – June 9 in California.
WBN Note: Kell Brook expected to be sanctioned for a final eliminator should the Briton and his team accept. Jermell Charlo free for a voluntary in the meantime.
More from the WBC reports soon.