As WBN mentioned earlier this week, Gennady Golovkin was pushed for time in his bid to fight on May 5th – whether it was Las Vegas or California.
All had gone eerily quiet for Golvokin on the Cinco de Mayo front before promoter Tom Loeffler informed World Boxing News that there may not be a fight at all on that date.
“I’m not sure if the Gennady Golovkin fight is happening on May 5th at this point,” said Loeffler in a message late on Tuesday as the governing bodies continue talks to work out what happens next.
On Wednesday, both prospective opponent Gary O’Sullivan and Loeffler told WBN they believe a clash can be saved for the StubHub Center.
“I’ve been told the fight it’s on. I don’t know what’s going on but I was told last night it’s on,” O’Sullivan exclusively told World Boxing News.
Loeffler was asked if O’Sullivan was correct in thinking a fight could happen, by telling WBN: “That’s true.”
The initial doubts were partly due to mandatory challengers coming into play, with IBF number one Sergey Derevyanchenko pushing hardest of all to face Golovkin before O’Sullivan.
Promoter Lou DiBella has questioned why the Ukrainian is not next in line as Golovkin agreed terms with the Irishman last week on the back of Canelo Alvarez being ruled out.
Meetings have been held between the WBC and IBF to resolve the situation, as it emerged ‘GGG’ could be stripped of his IBF belt for not facing Derevyanchenko next.
A resolution to the situation looks to be close as fans await an official announcement of Golovkin’s return to Los Angeles.
The belated addition of Roman Gonzalez has been a boost and will help Golovkin in his desire to defend his championships as promised.
Golovkin v O’Sullivan still remains in the balance but is more likely to go ahead (on Wednesday) than it was on Tuesday.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay