Joshua Buatsi has admitted his ambition is to collect a maiden pro title before the end of the year after delivering a mature performance to outpoint Poland’s Bartolmeij Grafka.
The Rio Olympic bronze medallist switched over to the professional ranks back in July of last year and extended his unbeaten record to 5-0 in Cardiff.
Buatsi believes the bigger the stage, the bigger performances he’ll produce.
Speaking exclusively to World Boxing News in the dressing room after the fight, Buatsi said: “It gives you a buzz, it gives you more energy, more momentum when there’s a big crowd and you feel the occasion you have to rise to on such a big show.
“It also makes you target being at the top where you can get a later slot on the bill where it’s going to be packed, it’s a new challenge for me.
“Hopefully I will be back out on the undercard of Tony Bellew and David Haye, May 5.
“My aim will be to win a title later this year, as of when, I couldn’t tell you. I couldn’t echo that, so I can’t tell you how many fights I will have this year either because it’s new to me.
“If I was a manager or trainer I could tell you more but because I’ve only just started as a fighter I’m not too sure,” he added.
However, despite hoping to follow in the footsteps of Joe Cordina and Josh Kelly in winning a belt, the Brit is only focused on progressing and gaining valuable experience in the ring.
“I need to concentrate on my journey, the five opponents I’ve have had have all been durable, they’ve all been tough, good and I feel like I’m progressing well.
“I need to go back and watch my fight back carefully but from what I felt It was an okay performance against a well-experienced operator.
“I can learn from it, take things from the fight I’ve learned a lot from. It was at a decent pace, I now want to move onto eight rounders and spend more time out there,” said Buatsi.
Joe Hewlett is lead writer for World Boxing News. Follow Joe on Twitter @Hewlett95