Pacquiao focused on taking Matthysse’s title, wants Lomachenko in the fall
Manny Pacquiao intends on ripping the world championship from Lucas Matthysse on July 14 before taking on Vasyl Lomachenko later this year.
Announcing his fight to the world, which WBN reported last month was moved to the new date, Pacquiao said proudly that the ‘Pacman is back!’
“It’s on! Can’t wait to challenge Lucas Matthysse for another world title on July 15 in Kuala Lumpur, Malyasia – July 14 US time. #Pacmanisback,” said the eight-weight world title holder.
Golden Boy chief Oscar De La Hoya soon followed with: “Signed, sealed, and delivered. Proud to officially announce that WBA welterweight world champion @MatthysseLucas will put his title on the line against @mannypacquiao in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Saturday night July 14 (US time),” said the boxing legend.
Pacquiao advisor Michael Koncz later revealed in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that the veteran had already targeted clash with Lomachenko in the fall, as was his confidence in gaining victory despite losing controversially last time out against Jeff Horn.
In further news on the Philippines front, Top Rank chief Bob Arum has penciled May 26 as the date for the landmark all-Filipino world title clash between champion Jerwin Ancajas and mandatory challenger Jonas Sultan.
In an email to the Manila Bulletin, the Hall of Fame promoter said that Las Vegas will be the host city of the International Boxing Federation super-flyweight title match.
The fight was supposed to take place on April 14 but an injury suffered by one of the main event fighters compelled Arum to scrap the entire show.
Informed about the new date, Ancajas’s camp welcomed the development and the champ’s trainer-manager insists this will enable them to properly program the training schedule.
Ancajas is holed out the Survival Camp in Magallanes, Cavite, while Sultan is headquartered at the ALA Boxing Club in Cebu City.
Courtesy of Nick Giongco, Manila Bulletin. Follow Nick on Twitter @NickSpeaks