Canelo Clenbuterol find leads to Nevada suspension, GGG fight in doubt
Canelo Alvarez has sensationally been suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his adverse findings containing traces of Clenbuterol.
The NSAC launched an investigation over two positive tests in February and is not fully satisfied with the information gathered on the levels uncovered.
Canelo, 27, has now been ordered to appear at a hearing to decide whether a confirmed middleweight title fight with current king Gennady Golovkin will go ahead.
“Mr. Alvarez is temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his adverse analytical findings, that being clenbuterol, on Feb. 17 and 20,” Bennett told ESPN. “A commission hearing is scheduled for April 10, 2018, to hear from Mr. Alvarez.”
Earlier this week, scheduled opponent Golovkin had questioned Canelo’s integrity, leading most to believe the fight would be called off at some point.
“Again with Mexican meat? Come on. I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo, and this is his team. This is his promotion. Canelo is cheating,” said Golovkin.
“They’re using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it’s not happening. It was pretty obvious when (his) muscles were all (enlarged before the first fight) … and with the traces of injections, which were visible.
“I can talk about Oscar De La Hoya, too. He is also not clean. He’s dirty. Ask any doctor. Let him explain what those (muscles) are. It’s better even to use the lie detector.
“Then there wouldn’t be any silly questions about meat or fruits or chocolate,” he added.
A big question mark now hangs over the Cinco de Mayo blockbuster as fans and participants are forced to wait until just over three weeks before the bout to know the final decision.