Gennady Golovkin makes shock CHEATING claims against Canelo Alvarez which could put May 5 REMATCH IN JEOPARDY
Gennady Golovkin broke his silence on the Canelo Alvarez drug test failure from camp in Big Bear this week, a move which at the very least will strain relations between their rival promoters.
Despite a May 5th rematch being confirmed, a Nevada State Athletic Commission investigation remains ongoing due to the adverse finding of Clenbuterol in Canelo’s pre-camp sample.
Contaminated meat has been blamed, and as of now the fight is on, although Golovkin has since accused Canelo of cheating and taking performance enhancing drugs before their first fight in September.
This admission from ‘GGG’ is yet to be met with a response from Canelo himself as a cloud hangs further over the ‘Cinco de Mayo’ event taking place as planned.
“Again with Mexican meat? Come on. I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. … Canelo is cheating,” said Golovkin.
“They’re using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it’s not happening.”
“It was pretty obvious when (his) muscles were all (enlarged before the first fight) … and with the traces of injections, which were visible.
“I can talk about Oscar De La Hoya, too. He is also not clean. He’s dirty.
“Ask any doctor. Let him explain what those (muscles) are. It’s better even to use the lie detector.
“Then there wouldn’t be any silly questions about meat or fruits or chocolate,” he added.
On Golovkin’s passionate argument, Golden Boy President had predicted the Kazakh was looking to pull out of the Pay-Per-View battle and fully intends to seek advice on the comments.
“He doesn’t sound like a confident fighter,” Gomez told AP.
“GGG is trying to find a way out. If he doesn’t want the fight, he should just say so.
“Just last week he said the exact opposite. His remarks about needle marks, Oscar and every other lie are outrageous, false and defamatory, and we will deal with them appropriately.”
With the argument set to run until a final ruling is made, the NSAC may well seek to announce the verdict at some point this week.
Talk of Billy Joe Saunders stepping in to fight Golovkin should the Canelo blockbuster collapse is already gathering pace following the delaying of a clash with Martin Murry through injury.