19
Nov
2019

EXCLUSIVE: Las Vegas chief confirms Floyd Mayweather yet to apply for MMA license

Phil Jay 22/02/2018

Nevada Athletic Commission Chief Executive Director Bob Bennett has exclusively informed WBN that there’s been no application from Floyd Mayweather to obtain an MMA license to fight.

Mayweather, who turns 41 this month, has been consistently linked to a crossover clash with Conor McGregor this summer, having shared ten rounds in the boxing ring in August of last year.

On that occasion, Mayweather stopped the soon-to-be stripped UFC lightweight champion McGregor at the T-Mobile Arena and the Irishman is eyeing revenge in a possible half-billion dollar octagon rematch.

Despite Dana White and Floyd’s father stated a Mayweather move to UFC is on the cards, the former pound for pound king is yet to officially make steps towards gaining the necessary paperwork.

“We have not received an application from Mr. Floyd Mayweather since his retirement,” Bennett exclusively told World Boxing News on Thursday.

Regarding a second fight between Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez following on from their Las Vegas clash in September, Bennett stated his fingers were crossed for the return to head back to the same venue on Cinco de Mayo this year just prior to the official announcement.

“I don’t think the location for the Gennady Golovkin vs. Saul Alvarez has been decided yet and/or announced,” said Bennett. “Hopefully the fight will be in the fight capital of the world and we can move forward,” added Bennett to WBN.

New York’s Madison Square Garden had been tabbed to potentially stage the contest due to concerns by Team Golovkin over the judging in the first bout as Canelo was handed a hotly debated draw.

Las Vegas was revealed to have won the bidding on Thursday afternoon and seemed to be the only setting capable of holding such a great event on the date of May 5.

Tickets go on sale later this month.

Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay

Your SEO optimized title