Liverpool’s highly rated super-lightweight, Robbie Davies Jnr, finally gets the chance for revenge over Poland’s Michal Syrowatka when the pair meet in an eagerly anticipated rematch at the Liverpool Convention Centre on 31 March.
In what many observers felt was one of the fights of 2017, the tough Pole took the talented scouser’s unbeaten record – and his WBA Continental belt – back in July courtesy of a 12th round TKO despite Davies flooring Syrowatka in the ninth and appearing to be ahead at the time of the stoppage.
An immediate, and contractually obliged, rematch was put on hold in the autumn however, after the Polish no.1 asked, firstly, for a delay due to an unspecified injury, and then, in December, personal problems. Despite these delays however, the date and venue for the one contest the talented switch hitter wanted more than any other has finally been confirmed.
Davies, already in training with coach Dave Tonks, said: “It’s taken a while to happen but I’m delighted everything is sorted now –thanks to my manager Neil Marsh for that – and I can’t wait to get back in the ring.
“He was a decent kid but I wasn’t at my best in the first fight and I won’t be making the same mistakes again. I know I’m better than him in every department; speed, power, skill, everything. And people will see this on 31 March. I aim to take back the [WBA continental] belt in style and then move on up through the rankings to bigger things later in the year.”
Whilst not uncommon for boxers or their backroom team, the delays still came as a blow to Davies’ manager, Neil Marsh, who had prepared studiously ahead of the one contest his charge wanted above all others.
Marsh said: “We were all really disappointed in the news obviously, none more so than Robbie, but everything is sorted now and the entire team is focussed on 31 March. Sometimes you have to be patient in boxing and this is what I told Robbie. He wanted the chance to make a statement and didn’t want his loss to go unavenged.
“We also wanted to bring him back to his home city, to show the Liverpool boxing fans how good he is and this contest gives him the chance to do all of that. We want to win in style and then return to our journey to get back into the WBA top 5 and then work towards a world title.”
Marsh also revealed there is a chance the show could be on TV. He said: “We are hoping to get the show on TV and talks are ongoing at the moment.”
Expanding on the fact that Davies wanted the Syrowatka return more than any other contest despite a number of options being available, one of which was believed to be Ohara Davies, Marsh said: “We discussed alternatives, some of whom were supposed bigger names. Eddie Hearn offered us the O’Hara fight late last year and Robbie was keen – he wants to shut him up once and for all, especially for the disrespect he has shown Robbie on social media, but the offer wasn’t acceptable.
“It was nowhere near what we wanted to be honest – which makes us feel that they weren’t serious about it in the first place, but it’s no great loss; Robbie was adamant – this was the fight he wanted and, with a host of other local lads on the show, it should be a great night.”
Whilst Marsh states, “a world class support contest is still to be finalised,” a number of local and NW-based fighters have been confirmed: Liverpool fighters, Brian Phillips and Lee Boyce will feature, as will Warrington pair Courtney Chadwick and Danny Craven. Southport’s Jake Barton will be in action as well as Ellesmere Port’s highly-rated duo, Mason Cartwright.
Tickets for the show, held in association with Kieran Farrell Promotions, will are priced at £40, £60, £80, £100 VIP and £150 VIP Ringside. They are available from the Convention Centre from tomorrow (Friday 12 January) at 9am and from the boxers themselves.