14
Nov
2018

Ohara Davies suspended, removed from Feb 3 O2 Arena show for offensive comments

Phil Jay 30/12/2017

Ohara Davies has been suspended by his management company, Sim Sports and will no longer feature on the February 3rd show set for the O2 Arena in London.

Charlie Sims, on behalf of Sims Sports Management, released a statement on Saturday and was quickly followed up by Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn doing similar.

Davies has made sensitive comments regarding a UK newspaper roundly criticised for their handling of reporting on the Hillsborough disaster, in a direct attempt to goad fellow fighter Tommy Coyle this week.

WBN have kept pace with the story as it developed which has now resulted in the subsequent confirmations by Hearn and Sims.

“Following comments made by Ohara Davies on social media yesterday, we have removed him from our February 3rd show at The O2 Arena,” said Hearn.

“Whilst I believe his comments were made through ignorance, they were unacceptable and highly offensive to many of our friends and fighters, and to a city that we have a huge amount of respect for.”

Sims added his own statement via social media.

Below is WBN’s original report on the story from earlier today, along with an double apology from Davies.

A tweet aimed at Tommy Coyle and captured by WBN before being deleted caused an uproar on social media and led to Davies issuing this initial response to immediate criticism.

“Whether I said some s**t that people liked or not, the bottom line is at the end of the day – boxing would never love me so I don’t care whether I offended any of y’all or not because when I was down all of you laughed or you stayed quiet. so screw every single one of you,” said the Londoner.

Davies had earlier tweeted: “I don’t have any fans anyway. Boxing doesn’t love me and I don’t love boxing either,” as a mass of boxing personnel and followers added to the barrage.

Even Joe Selkirk, from the area most affected by what Davies had said, threatened to ‘take his head clean off’ as the 25 year-old once again finds himself in the firing line of Liverpudlians.

1 coyle davies

Prior to his clash with Derry Mathews, Davies stood up at the Liverpool press conference and hurled insults at all present in a move that hasn’t help his growing bad boy image.

Former cruiserweight world champion Tony Bellew then crowned Davies ‘The Helmet of 2017’ in his own address of the situation.

“Biggest Helmet of 2017 award goes to this stupid tit!! Ohara Davies,” said Bellew.

“I would of thought what got done to you in Scotland would of taught you something? It obviously hasn’t you idiot! You need to apologize lad!”

2 davies

After some hours of reflection, Davies has now released two apologies to anyone offended by his actions and says he was naive and ill-informed about the significance his posts carried.

A member of Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing team, Davies is due to return to action at The O2 on February 3rd as the one-time WBC Silver title holder continues his comeback from that bad defeat to Josh Taylor mentioned by Bellew.

Following a seventh round stoppage loss to Taylor in Glasgow, Davies was accused of quitting before returning two months later to halt another Liverpool man in Tom Farrell.

Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay

Your SEO optimized title