Erik Skoglund’s promoters at Team Sauerland have released a statement update on the condition of the former WBC Diamond super-middleweight title challenger.
The Swede was taken ill following a sparring session earlier this month, twelve weeks on from losing a points decision to Callum Smith in a World Boxing Super Series quarter-final at Liverpool’s Docklands Echo Arena.
Skoglund was critical and placed in an induced coma at the time – but after a spell being treated through intensive care – is now said to be through the worst.
“With the swelling to his brain sufficiently reduced, doctors began the process of waking Erik last night (on Tuesday) and have so far been pleased with the results,” said Sauerland.
“He has shown a number of positive signs. He is now breathing on his own, with the help of a ventilator, and is responding to instructions.
“Although he remains in intensive care, the most critical and life-threatening stages of his recovery are now behind him.
“Over the coming days, Erik will undergo a series of examinations, which will reveal what effect his injuries will have on his future.
“We would like to thank everyone for their continued messages of support, and ask that everyone continue to respect the privacy of Erik and his family during this time.
“Team Sauerland will provide a further update on Erik’s condition when possible.”
A former European champion, the 26 year-old had boiled down in weight especially to compete in the WBSS tournament after fighting the majority of his career at 175 and even beginning as high as 186 pounds for his debut.
Whether dropping the weight had anything to do with his injuries is yet to be established, although the most important thing is the threat to Skoglund’s life is seemingly subsiding and all the focus can switch to gaining as much of his brain function as possible moving forward.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay