A fight between Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker remains roadblocked despite claims by Eddie Hearn of an agreement being ‘very close’.
Hearn had stated on Monday his side are willing to ‘overpay’ Parker, although the New Zealander’s promoter David Higgins says no improved offer is forthcoming.
Higgins previously told WBN Hearn had put a 30% deal on the table, whilst Parker is holding out for 35%.
As of Tuesday, that situation remained unchanged.
“There is no change in the current standing on Joshua v Parker and we are still at a deadlock with Hearn over the purse ratios,” Higgins exclusively told World Boxing News.
Regarding the possibility of the fight heading to Cardiff as early as March, Higgins said: “The venue and date for any fight are still wide open but if a deal is made, we would look at several competing options.”
The Principality Stadium has emerged as the favorite for Joshua once again due to accessibility during the football season, although Higgins has stated to WBN on a few occasions of his desire to explore other options in Europe.
Contractions like this could yet be bumps in the road for Hearn and Joshua’s desire to seal a unification in the first quarter of 2017, whilst Parker remains the number one target and it will only take a slight improvement to get the deal done.
Should Hearn and Joshua move their stance, the stipulations on date and venue should be fairly easy to iron out.
Parker just wants his 35% cut and has even thrown a rematch clause into the bargain.
Should negotiations ultimately fail, which seems doubtful, Joshua’s UK rival Dillian Whyte has claimed he would be the replacement for Parker.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay