23
Mar
2019

Options emerge for Tony Bellew, fired-up Tyson Fury offers to replace David Haye

Joe Hewlett 20/11/2017

Rumours of David Haye pulling out of his eagerly awaited rematch with Tony Bellew have unfortunately come true after the Londoner confirmed he has an injured bicep.

As WBN reported earlier this week, it was touch and go whether Haye would make the fight due to achilles trouble and his most recent injury has proven to be too much.

The fight was set to land on December 17 at the O2 Arena, however, the 37-year-old has revealed he will now undergo surgery to repair his arm following a “freak accident.”

There is a chance the bout could be rescheduled for spring and those who have original tickets will be valid for the change of date, but with Haye suffering yet another injury, it could spell the end for the former two-weight world champion.

It is the fourth time Haye has pulled out before a fight in recent years, which include Manuel Charr Tyson Fury twice.

Bellew was victorious in their clash back in April, defeating Haye via a TKO in the ninth round. It was yet another injury that hampered Haye’s chances, snapping his achilles earlier in the contest. The WBC emeritus champion reacted to the news on Twitter.

It is unknown whether Eddie Hearn will try and find a replacement for the ‘Bomber.’ The Scouser spoke of his desire to taking on WBO world champion Joseph Parker if Haye was to pull out in his Metro column earlier last week.

Bellew said in a recent Metro column: “I’ve got a lot of options on the table, so if he wants to pull out of the fight, I’ll face Joseph Parker, no problem.

“I believe 100 per cent I would beat Joseph Parker. And I’m not talking about running from him and outboxing him like Hughie Fury did in Manchester. Fury showed that Parker can easily be outboxed and heat clean, but he couldn’t put it all together against Parker. If Parker doesn’t walk forward all night, there’s no fight there. He walks forward and makes a fight of it all night long, but you can’t expect a fighter to walk into your big hits. Unless you’re the likes of Floyd Mayweather…”

If Parker doesn’t fancy a tussle with Bellew then the Evertonian has offers elsewhere with Tyson Fury and Dillian Whyte both offering the 33-year-old out.

Speaking on his Instagram account he said: “I’ll be ready, willing and waiting to fight Tony Bellew, May 5, O2 Arena, London.

“Like I said before Tony, you want to fight a real man, you want to fight the best heavyweight in the world, the heavyweight that beat everybody else, the heavyweight that never lost a fight, the real heavyweight champion of the world. I’m ready and waiting.

“Be no contest, one uppercut, ceiling job. If you think you can do any different, prove it wrong.”

Fury has posted several videos in recent weeks of himself hitting the pads at Hatton’s gym in a bid to return after a two-year exile out of the ring. He is currently awaiting a UK Anti-Doping hearing.

Joe Hewlett is lead writer for World Boxing News. Follow Joe on Twitter @Hewlett95

Your SEO optimized title