Posting yet another impressive clip of his top condition for a near 41-year-old, Floyd Mayweather looks as though he could still reign supreme over the sport.
The five-weight world champion released a video of himself hitting the bag in the gym as rumors continue to grow regarding a sensational comeback.
Mayweather last fought when coming out of a two-year retirement in August to defeat Conor McGregor in a cross-codes battle earning him another nine-figure check.
‘Money’ just doesn’t seem to age like other fighters and would certainly put current welterweight king Keith Thurman’s undefeated run in jeopardy should he decide to return.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) November 20, 2017
Top choice would definitely be the winner of Gennady Golovkin v Canelo Alvarez II for Mayweather, though.
The middleweight duo look set to collide for a second time on May 5 of next year, and despite Mayweather already defeating Canelo previously, the Mexican has improved immensely in the time since then.
‘GGG’ on the other hand would be the standout candidate.
The possibility of Mayweather moving up to 160 seems to be the only scenario where defeat would be anywhere near possible for the freakishly talented veteran, and going up against the hard-hitting Kazakh’s power would sell the fight as a rival to the Pacquiao or McGregor fights.
Golovkin doesn’t have the profile of either, but would one hundred percent give Mayweather the opportunity to bank another check in the hundreds of millions.
Recently, Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez exclusively told WBN his man would be willing to go down to 154.
“If there are serious negotiations and the package for GGG makes sense, we would make 154 for a fight against Floyd Mayweather,” Sanchez exclusively told World Boxing News.
“The only thing with that group (Mayweather and his promotional team, including Leonard Ellerbe) is there’s sometimes just talk and no substance to putting anything on the table.”
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay