Robbie Davies Jnr forced to wait for Michal Syrowatka rematch, rejects Ohara Davies offer

Although a date and venue had been selected – December 2nd at Liverpool Convention Centre – posters printed and a rematch clause from the first meeting executed, Syrowatka was forced to pull out just as Davies jnr. was in the process of moving up a gear in his own preparations.

Whilst not uncommon for boxers or their backroom team, the news still came as a blow to Davies’ manager, Neil Marsh, who had prepared studiously ahead of the one contest his charge wanted above all others.

Marsh said: “We are all really disappointed in the news obviously. We had booked a date at the venue for November but then were allowed to move it to December once we were told about the injury. A few days later however, we were asked to postpone it for a bit longer as Syrowatka told us he had personal problems he needed to sort out and so wouldn’t be able to fight in December at all. It’s a blow but the Convention Centre have been fantastic with us – very understanding. Equally, we completely understand Michal’s issues and we are working on the fight taking place in the very near future.”

Whilst not the news Team Davies were hoping for, Marsh was characteristically relaxed about the situation. He said: “It’s not the news we wanted but sometimes these things happen in boxing. The good news however, is that the rematch clause I inserted into the original contract has been activated, the management of the venue are patient and the fight will definitely happen, probably early in the New Year.”

The delay has also boosted the chances of the contest being screened live on TV, a situation that Marsh hadn’t contemplated when he originally made the rematch. He said: “Robbie wanted the fight badly, and he wanted it at home, in his own city. We backed him and looked at venues and dates without even thinking about TV – but the delay has now opened the door to the possibility of it being screened live. Robbie is an exciting fighter and the more people get to see him win the better.“

Expanding on the fact that Davies wanted the return more than any other contest despite a number of options being available, one of which was believed to be Ohara Davies, Marsh said: “We discussed alternatives, some of whom were supposed bigger names. Eddie Hearn offered us the O’Hara fight and Robbie was keen – he wants to shut him up once and for all, especially for the disrespect he has shown Robbie on social media, but the offer wasn’t acceptable. At all. It was nowhere near what we wanted which makes us feel that they weren’t serious about it in the first place, but it’s no great loss; Robbie was adamant – this was the fight he wanted. He wants to make a statement and doesn’t want his loss to go unavenged. “

“Although he was ahead at the time of the stoppage Robbie felt he wasn’t right on the night and so he wants the rematch to get it out of his system if you like. We know he’s better than Syrowatka and he’ll prove it when the fight does get made. I’ve advised him to stay patient and once he wins we can return to our journey – to get back inside the WBA top 5 and work towards a world title.”