The prospect of fighting away in Canada whilst attempting to defend his WBO crown for a third successive time is something Billy Joe Saunders is relishing.
The middleweight will be fighting David Lemieux, with the fight taking place at Laval, Quebec, commencing December 16.
It will be the first time Saunders has fought outside of the UK, though he insisted he isn’t fazed upon going to Lemieux’s backyard.
“It’s something different. I’m not going to be the home fighter but I just need to do what I do and come through this fight,” Saunders exclusively told World Boxing News.
“The way I look at it is, if it happens (a controversial decision) then it’s bad for boxing and there’s nothing more I can do. It will just look bad on the sport.”
For the first time since 2015, the WBO king looks set to fight for the second time in a calendar year. He admitted his delight to be returning to action last month against Willie Monroe Jr.
He said: “Things can get very lonely outside of the ring, I need boxing in my life and thank god I had the opportunity to get back in and get back to normal. It was great to get back in the ring, but it’s just an opponent.
“I boxed well. It was picker versus picker, waiting for whoever made the first mistake and I made Monroe Jr make quite a few mistakes.”
Before the match-up with the Canadian was made for December, there was mounting speculation that Saunders could have fought a household name in Amir Khan. However, the Londoner confirmed it was nothing more than speculation.
“Amir Khan is a very fighter and the reason I said I’d like to fight him is because he’s already fought Canelo. And there was a chance for him to fight and win another world title but it didn’t happen.
“I’m now fighting a bigger name, and a former world champion in Canada – it’s for seven-figures.”
Asked on whether he’s waiting for the winner between GGG and Canelo for next year, a fed-up sounded Saunders, wouldn’t entertain the idea with a big fight on the horizon.
The 28-year-old concluded: “I’m just concentrating on my job, I’m not waiting around for anyone, I’ve got Lemieux next and that’s all I’m focusing on.”
Joe Hewlett is lead writer for World Boxing News. Follow Joe on Twitter @Hewlett95