George Groves v Jamie Cox – Undercard results from London

Joe Hewlett 14/10/2017

Results from Wembley Arena, London, UK: 

John Ryder produced a brutal knockout in what was yet another controversial result.

Having dominated the bout, which included an eight-count knockdown in the second, Ryder delivered a brutal assault to win in the fifth.

The aftermath saw an angry Nisse Sauerland stepping into the ring seemingly criticising the officials.

Replays witnessed the gumshield pop out of Patrick Nielson’s mouth before Ryder dispatched the Dane with left uppercut and right.

However, referee Bob Williams was on the other side of the boxers and unable to see the gumshield fall out.

‘The Gorilla’ John Ryder returns to winning ways and stretches his record to 25-4.

The circus continued in what has turned into an incredibly dramatic undercard at the SSE Arena.

In an exchange of wild shots, Jonny Phillips stunned Chris Eubank’s son Nathaniel ‘Banks’ Wilson flooring him in the opening round following a sensational left hook.

The drama included Howard Foster yet again, in what seemed, a premature stoppage.

With his legs wobbling whilst being counted, Foster waved away and halted the contest to Wilson’s annoyance.

Phillips jubilantly kissed his glove in disbelief as he recorded the biggest the shock out of the night and the biggest win of his boxing career.

Absolute chaos erupted at the SSE Arena during the opening and only round of the contest between the two welterweights Louis Adolphe and Nathan McIntosh.

Going into the remaining seconds of the round, Howard Foster appeared to call for a break before McIntosh turned around to receive a viscous right-hook from Adolphe.

On the floor and unable to move, paramedics rushed into the ring to give the 29-year-old oxygen and first aid treatment whilst Adolphe, from Tooting, jumped up to celebrate what he thought was a KO win.

With boos echoing around the Arena, the replay appeared to show Foster shouting for a break before half-heartedly stepping in. It was too little too late and once McIntosh was back up on his feet, the ring announcer the Nottingham man winner via a DQ in round one.

Disgusted by the decision, Adolphe stormed out of the ring having tasted his first defeat to move to 7-1.

There were scenes of astonishment as this undercard took another twist.

Journeymen all across the UK would have been delighted as the SSE Arena witnessed Kevin McCauley end 19 straight defeats, winning a 39-38 points decision over Jamie Carley.

His record now stands at a mind-boggling 14-154-11.

Mikael Lawal continued his impressive beginnings to life in the pro ranks by demolishing Croatian Tomislav Rudan.

The 22-year-old powerhouse landed a spectacular right uppercut to end proceedings in round two. Despite worrying signs, the medics helped Rudan to his stool before he stood up at the end to embrace Lawal.

Light-heayweight Kirk Garvey won a third successive fight since defeat to Colin Farricker as he improved his record to 10-1.

The Clapham man looked set to win the clash on points before referee George Brognoli intervened after an emphatic selection of shots left the Londoner reigning supreme over Jozef Kolodzej in the fourth and final round.

Dean Richardson delivered a perfect punch performance as he made light work of Slovakia’s Andrej Moravek.

Two minutes and 58 seconds into the second round the contest was halted after Richardson produced a flurry of combinations to send his opponent to the canvas for the second time.

Kian ‘Tech’ Thomas made his long-awaited return to the ring, and it was worth the wait. The Hackney man outclassed fellow welterweight Ferenc Katona for three-and-a-half rounds before a ferocious right hook sent the Hungarian across the other side of the ring. It’s his first fight since injuring his right hand during his win over Ryan Hardy back in February.

The Hackney man outclassed fellow welterweight Ferenc Katona for three-and-a-half rounds before a ferocious right hook sent the Hungarian across the other side of the ring. 

It’s Thomas’ first fight since injuring his right hand during his win over Ryan Hardy back in February.

In the opener, Chris Billam Smith began proceedings at the Wembley Arena ahead of the main event between George Groves and Jamie Cox.

The Brit didn’t waste any time, dispatching Serbia’s Aleksandar Todorovic (11-14-1) within the first round. The Shane McGuigan fighter extends his record to 2-0.

Youssef Khoumari was rarely tested as he comfortably defeated fellow Brit Jamie Speight.

The lightweight, 21, won on points to earn his second victory in as many bouts since turning professional.

Also on the bill, Michael ‘Chunky’ Devine (16-5-1) defeated veteran Michael Mooney via a 40-36 points decision, whilst Bulgaria’s Angel Emilov shocked Daniel Keenan and an army of his fans near ringside as the scorecard read 39-38 in the underdog’s favour.

Despite all four rounds being very close, it was the away fighter who had his hand raised. Emilov inflicted a first taste of defeat on the 21-year-old Briton.

Joe Hewlett is lead writer for World Boxing News. Follow Joe on Twitter @Hewlett95