John Ryder brutally knocks out gumshield-less Patrick Nielsen

Joe Hewlett 14/10/2017

John Ryder produced a brutal knockout in what was yet another controversial result.

Having dominated the bout, which included an eight-count knockdown in the second, Ryder delivered a brutal assault to win in the fifth.

The aftermath saw an angry Nisse Sauerland stepping into the ring seemingly criticising the officials.

Replays witnessed the gumshield pop out of Patrick Nielson’s mouth before Ryder dispatched the Dane with left uppercut and right.

However, referee Bob Williams was on the other side of the boxers and unable to see the gumshield fall out.

‘The Gorilla’ John Ryder returns to winning ways and stretches his record to 25-4.

The circus continued in what has turned into an incredibly dramatic undercard at the SSE Arena.

In an exchange of wild shots, Jonny Phillips stunned Chris Eubank’s son Nathaniel ‘Banks’ Wilson flooring him in the opening round following a sensational left hook.

The drama included Howard Foster yet again, in what seemed, a premature stoppage.

With his legs wobbling whilst being counted, Foster waved away and halted the contest to Wilson’s annoyance.

Phillips jubilantly kissed his glove in disbelief as he recorded the biggest the shock out of the night and the biggest win of his boxing career.

Prior to the Wilson controversy, absolute chaos erupted at the SSE Arena during the opening and only round of the contest between the two welterweights Louis Adolphe and Nathan McIntosh.

Going into the remaining seconds of the round, Foster (again involved) appeared to call for a break before McIntosh turned around to receive a viscous right-hook from Adolphe.

On the floor and unable to move, paramedics rushed into the ring to give the 29-year-old oxygen and first aid treatment whilst Adolphe, from Tooting, jumped up to celebrate what he thought was a KO win.

With boos echoing around the Arena, the replay appeared to show Foster shouting for a break before half-heartedly stepping in. It was too little too late and once McIntosh was back up on his feet, the ring announcer the Nottingham man winner via a DQ in round one.

Joe Hewlett is lead writer for World Boxing News. Follow Joe on Twitter @Hewlett95