Tony Luis is back in action at the Civic Complex commencing October 14 in Canada.
The 29-year-old goes toe-to-toe against Giovanni Straffon and is hoping to catch the attention of the leading champions and contenders in the lightweight division.
Talking exclusively to World Boxing News, he insisted he has hit the perfect form ahead of his bout taking place later this month.
He said: “Training has been great, everything is peaking at the right time, this is my fifth week of training but last week was the turning point in camp and everything is sharpening up and coming together. We’re going to be ready to put a show on for October 14.”
One fighter that has caught the eye of the Canadian is Jorge Linares. The 32-year-old extended his record to 43-3 as he snatched victory out of the hands of Luke Campbell via a split decision to retain his WBA world title strap.
Luis agreed with the outcome of the fight.
“I thought it was a very good fight. Linares really dominated and came out strong in the first three rounds and the knockdown helped him on the scorecards. It really looked like this was going to be a shutdown and then Linares tended to fade.
“As the middle rounds came by, he faded and Campbell came on and credit to him, he got back in the fight and made some adjustments. Going to the body was good for him, it kept it competitive, he shown a lot of heart but at the end of the day, the last two rounds Linares sharpened up and found that extra gear,” he added.
‘Lightning’ Luis admitted he is an admirer of the Venezuelan and fancies his chances if a future showdown was to happen.
“He’s fantastic,” he said. “He’s got beautiful skills and is a fantastic fighter to watch, we could be made for fireworks in the ring with my pressurise style and his ability to box from distance, our styles match together and would be made for mayhem in the ring.
“I’m known internationally as a pressure fighter but I’m more than just your basic fighter, I have quick hand speed and I can box and move when I have to.
“When I fought Karl Dargan, who everyone respected, they knew I was going to come forward but they never expected the head movement, they never expected the jab and never expected me to get inside the range and find the distance.
“You take that blueprint and implement it against Linares for twelve rounds and I think it could be a long night for him,” he concluded.
Joe Hewlett is lead writer for World Boxing News. Follow Joe on Twitter @Hewlett95