20
May
2019

Conor McGregor releases statement on glove change, shortens Floyd Mayweather KO prediction

Mayweather v McGregor 16/08/2017

Conor McGregor has spoken for the first time in the wake of the Nevada State Athletic Commission approving a request by his opponent to change the weight of gloves.

Floyd Mayweather asked the NSAC to break protocol in order for the former pound for pound king to fight the UFC star in 8 ounce gloves, rather than the stipulated 10.

At the media day previously, McGregor had said he fears for Mayweather lasting his earlier predicition of four rounds should the approval come as it did today.

“If we’re eight ounces, I’m struggling to give him two rounds, and that’s the God’s honest truth,” McGregor said at the UFC Performance Center to gathered media.

“The only reason I maybe give him two rounds is because in this game the referee stops me from pounding his head into the canvas, and he has 10 seconds to recover.

“That’s the only reason why he might get to the second round (with 8oz gloves).

Upon the Commission releasing their verdict and also confirming the officials for August 26 at the T-Mobile Arena, McGregor said: “I am very pleased with the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s handling of my next bout today.

“Fair play was kept all the way through. Referee – Hall of famer Robert Byrd. Judges – Burt Clements. Dave Morreti and Guido Cavalerri.

“8oz gloves approved, with pre and post fight analysis of the gloves on the night. This was handled very well and very fairly by the NSAC.

“I am very pleased and respect the commissions ruling on this. Ten days until fight time,” he added.

Your SEO optimized title